IWM Duxford Airshow 2013

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
ok as most know Terry and I attended the Airshow at the IWM Duxford on sunday.

we had a great weekend despite the interesting weather as will be seen in some of my pictures !

i took approx 650 pictures with Terry taking three times as many, the rapidly changing light conditions caused my little fuji to struggle occasionally.

so here goes.

VC-10 tail

057s.jpg

Sally B

021s.jpg

029s.jpg

405s.jpg

414s.jpg

418s.jpg

421s.jpg

434s.jpg

437s.jpg

438s.jpg

Dutch B-25

019s.jpg

032s.jpg

212s.jpg

229s.jpg

230s.jpg

316s.jpg

330s.jpg

336s.jpg

342s.jpg

361s.jpg

364s.jpg

603s.jpg

Great stuff Red Two !
As Karl said, we had a great time over the weekend at Duxford, despite a somewhat 'thin' line up for this year's two-day, September show, and despite rapidly changing weather conditions. We arrived at a camp site about four miles away by road, opposite the former Duxford satellite airfield at Fowlmere, still active and once the home of the 339th FG's Mustangs, on Saturday, getting to DX on Sunday, just as the gates opened.
This allowed us a prime spot in the Disabled car park, right on the flight line and, as the crowds weren't too bad, we were able to get some early morning shots, do the 'Flight Line Walk', and grab a front row position in a neat little enclosure reserved for wheelchair users and their servants ... er.. I mean 'Carers' !
We had hoped to meet up with Gary (Geedee) and his missus, but unfortunately he wasn't able to make it. (Never mind Gary, we made sure we drank your share of the beer !)
I was using two cameras, the excellent little Fuji bridge camera, same as Karl's, and the Nikon DSLR with 55-300mm zoom, and took a total of 1,900 photos !
Consequently, it's going to take some time to sort, edit and re-size them, a job which has slowed down a tad as I need to get a bigger hard drive - I've run out of free disc space!
But, I hope to get this done, and the first batch of pics posted later this week, with some from the Fuji possibly following later tonight or tomorrow.
Meanwhile, just to show the range of weather conditions, with predominantly sunny skies but two heavy rain storms, here's two shots giving an idea of the shooting conditions.

Attachments

• Dux start 1.jpg
    Dux start 1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Dux start 2.jpg
    Dux start 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 102
**** Off! I only took about 50 of the Wil.... that thing. And it sounded like a bag of spanners !! (did a great display though).

I won't be able to post much in the way of pics until my PC hard drive is replaced, but I'm hoping this will be done and ready for use by Thursday evening.
I'm sure Karl will fill-in by posting some of his shots, but meanwhile, here's a few showing the early morning roll-out shots, and a couple of 'arty farty' things.
The aircraft are one of the Duxford-based Hurricanes, the lovely little Nieuport, and the Royal Netherlands Historic Flight B-25 Mitchell, one of only two B-25's currently airworthy in Europe. The final shot shows the view from our location at around noon, just as the 'Flight Line Walk' was about to close.

Attachments

• Duxford 1.jpg
    Duxford 1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Duxford 2.jpg
    Duxford 2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Duxford 4.jpg
    Duxford 4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Duxford 5.jpg
    Duxford 5.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Duxford 6.jpg
    Duxford 6.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 96
Haven't heard anything specific yet Jeff, but judging by the 70th anniversary show, I think it will be something special, as will 'Flying Legends' that year.
Gary (Geedee) will possibly know more nearer the time, as he's a member of the 'Friends'.
Let us know when you know your arrangements for the visit, and we can see if we can get a few UK forum members together. If you've never been to DX before, I think you'll enjoy it, and it's well worth having the time to re-visit after any air show (or immediately before), in order to see the museum hangars, and the American museum, as well as the 'live' stuff always buzzing around. There isn't really time to see all this during a show, and it really needs at least two days to see the museum properly, no matter how many times a person has been before.
I posted a thread on Duxford, as a pictorial tour, about four years ago, if you want to get a 'taste' of the museum and the working hangars.

Don't think it was that long ago Terry as it was after I visited there in 2010. Anyway, I'm enjoying your and Karl's sampling of the weekend's events and look forward to seeing lots more.

As for me, I'd like to come back there and do the Legends show at some point not too far down the road and would love to meet up with a bunch of you blokes.

You're right Andy, it was 2011, after my visit in May that year. Senility rules !
There's a possibility I might do 'Legends' next year, but need to check budgets, as I'm planning a trip, by road, to the Czech Republic the following month. But, I'll probably go to the September show on the way back !

I agree with that. Looks like an umbrella was a handy accessory for that weekend, both for sun and rain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back