Japan and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This Rakugo item reminds me of one of my favourite movies - The Seven Samurai.

For those who have never heard of this movie then you need to find a copy. The Americans did a second class ripoff version of it called The Magnificent Seven.

If you watch The Magnificent Seven with the sound off it is almost totally meaningless. If you cannot hear the dialog you cannot guess 90% of the story.

If you watch The Seven Samurai with the sound on or off you get probably 80% of the story even tho the dialog is in Japanese and you do not understand it. And that does not change much if you read the subtitles which often distract from the facial expressions and body language.

Mika Mifune (39).
Toshiro Mifune's daughter when he was 62.
Mika_Mifune.jpg

Source: 三船美佳、病院から生電話で女児出産報告「ベビイちゃん抱っこしてスヤスヤしております」

Toshiro Mifune in 7 samurai
Toshiro_Mifune.jpg

Source: 【画像165枚】三船敏郎の映画をおすすめ順に紹介してみる。 - ひとみにカルチャーショックを。

Shinpachi san
I have just received the book "Blossoms in the wind" by Sheftall and looking through it I found this quote, a very similar thought to an earlier post. I will try to paraphrase: page 305,
"An impromptu A/V center had been set up in the middle of the room with about five rows of chairs and a few older visitors watching a video of wartime Kamikaze crashes. The man narrating the footage poses the question, if today's Japanese young people understand the meaning of the sacrifices of their forefathers."

Thanks for a good question, special ed.
Life style may look changed but I think that Japanese people's mind for their country is unchanged since the last war though some, or many?, old western people tend to see the superficial one. How Japanese young people see kamikaze is remarkably shown by the absolute popularity for 'Eternal Zero' - a recent kamikaze movie. There were pros and cons about suicide attack even in 1945 but, when people knew that they had no other choice, they would obey the decision as an implicit rule. This is what Japanese people understand over centuries and, in fact, they practice wearing masks in the ongoing pandemic now holding pros and cons in their minds like 76 years ago.

I must add that there were many young people who denied 'old Japan' in the 1970s when communism was still popular.
They have lost power as mere old men now.

On the first day of 2022 in Japan.
No snow in Osaka but the heaviest snow in history seems to be hitting the northern area.
Heavy_snow_northern_Japan_2022.jpg

The emperor and his family exchange the new year greetings with the heads of the three powers and the foreign envoys in the palace.
Palace_20220101.jpg

Source: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfdlEvTU_w

I haven't seen this film and the description says this specifically never took place at this time -- but is there any information on what it is supposed to represent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back