Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Edwin O. Reischauer (1910-1990) was a popular US Ambassdor to Japan from 1961 to 1966.
He not only spoke good Japanese but his wife was Japanese.
As an envoy, speaking the local language will be the first step to be a good diplomat.

Edwin and Haru

Interessing. I know plenty of diplomats speaking more or less english. However most finer things goes by them. Japanese is i think a different ballgame all together.

I learned English remembering hundreds or a thousand words one after another
That does not make fluent or get a grasp of the finer detail in a lingo. At best in that circels it is a learned text.
I can speak dutch english understand german and french. I do know the finer things in english but far from all.
And these are lingos that have a common base. Japanese has not.
So i can applaude you for doing so very good in english.
I was just wondering if the man spoke good japanese or you guys just being polite.

I don't understand most of the English jokes either as my sense for them is different

Must be. My daughter is a big Japan fan. Learned herself a bit of you tube japanese.
She made me see we are not the same.
Although the West is connected deeply with Japan i think most do not have a grasp how different we are. Yet we get along just fine know.
I think i would marvel at just about everything if i went to Japan in a good way.

Generally, people don't pay attention to scientific news but this was a good news recently.

One step closer to starting operations next year. At the research facility "Nanoterrace" being developed at the campus of Tohoku University in Sendai City, they have succeeded in making electrons circulate semi-permanently at a speed close to the speed of light.

The next-generation synchrotron radiation facility "Nanoterrace" is a gigantic microscope that uses synchrotron radiation, which is one billion times brighter than sunlight. This can be expected to develop pharmaceuticals and new materials. In an experiment conducted at the facility in June, they succeeded in accumulating electrons in which electrons continue to circulate semi-permanently and observed synchrotron radiation with a monitor.

When a similar experiment was conducted at the large-scale synchrotron radiation facility "SPring-8" in Hyogo Prefecture, it took 236 days to observe the synchrotron radiation but, at this Nanoterrace, it has been shortened to 60 days to observe.

Dr. Nobuyuki Nishimori of the National Institutes for Quantum Science and Technology says "Since we have taken the first big step toward practical application, we would like to move on to the next task."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9dE4zxwhxc

Last edited:
Technology but always looks a gamble for this company.
SoftBank to Receive Subsidies for Supercomputer Development

"I am 64! Forget your stupid rule!"

This Nepalese who lives in Japan for 40 years is furious because he is asked his age.
In Japan, a customer is to be confirmed age if he/she is over 20 before purchasing tobacco.
As far as I know, this kind of uniform sales style based on the manual was introduced by McDonald's half a century ago for the first time. I was not furious but used to laugh

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nORhyf28TjE

Users who are viewing this thread