Japanese air defense footage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If one meet with civlian people from the wartime in countries that suffered with the bombing, it's worth to ask if they have some story to tell about aircraft crashes or even fighter combats. Since they could have seen them in their childhood, there's much more of them still around than combat veterans, so we can still have testimonials from the air war.

Last edited:
A very moving video. I was struck by the people looking skyward and the planes taking off. Some bomber were downed, but still they came and kept coming. The Japanese fighters seem to be the J2M, Ki44 and Ki61 in order. I could not identify the twin engine flying overhead. It appears to be a Ki-83 or 102. The first bomber with a tail number of 4766 seems to be 44-69766 shot down in June, 1945, but not a perfect match in tail number. I could not find 26262 in my quick search. The bombers seemed to be quite low. I didn't think they flew low except at night. Apparently, they did. Another stunning scene was the devastation shown in the pictures of suburban struggles, not only in near scene, but way back in the ground, almost total. I've seen a lot of devastation from the sky but few from ground level. One scene shows a radial with apparent smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. One scene with US fighters look either like P-47s or F6Fs. Since F6Fs are shown shot down, I would guess it would be them. I don't know if P-47 were able to fly over Japan. Certainly a P-47N could do it.

I should say Thanks for Sharing but the footage has reminded me what my parents told me
"Before to say who's bad or right, it was disgusting. We should never make war again".

The twin engine flying overhead was Ki-45. He downed her.

I should say Thanks for Sharing but the footage has reminded me what my parents told me
"Before to say who's bad or right, it was disgusting. We should never make war again".

The twin engine flying overhead was Ki-45. He downed her.

Certainly the civilian losses by Japan was terrible and added to that the huge amount of soldiers that fought to the death in unwinnable battles had to be devastating. It is a tribute to the energy and ingenuity of the Japanese people that they recovered so fast.

Hello, davparlr!
I appreciate your favorable understanding about our Japanese history.

An IJA General said before Pearl Harbor "This is the war we have to fight because it will be totally different if we lose without fighting or fighting."
Yes, that was the war we had to fight as the General said and enough for us to understand the world.

I was stationed in Yohohama in the late '60's and there were still caves in the hills and mountains for protection from our bombers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back