Japanese-Captured P-40E Warhawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's another one from Asahigraph Magazine c. 1943. Same aircraft, but with U.S. Army A.C. markings, including underwing block lettering. You can also see that the red center of the white star is painted-out.

Of note also is that many of the people in these pictures appear to be Western, while in others they're clearly Japanese.

The pictures seem to raise more questions than provide answers - but the color scheme is real, and pretty cool.
The westerners are captured USAAF personnel on Mindanano who were compelled to instruct the Japanese in the planes, and help ferry them back to Luzon from where they were shipped to Japan. The photo's were taken ca. May 1942, even if appearing in a magazine later on. This epsiode is explained in some detail in "Doomed at the Start" by William Bartsch, an excellent history of the US Army fighter units in the Philippines in 1941-42.

Re: Wildcat, again the scheme shown here is how the USAAF crews painted (at least one of) the newly arrived P-40E's on Mindanao in spring 1942 (3 sent in by blockade runner in crates). When the a/c (either the same ones or P-40E's captured on Java) were later used by the Japanese in the movie 'Kato Hayabusa Regiment' they were or should have been representing AVG P-40's, since that's who Kato's regiment (the 64th Sentai) faced in 1942. But instead the Japanese painted them for the movie in prewar USAAC type markings, OD color, red and white striped tail, red centered star, no shark mouth. I'm being lazy, but if one searches around the internet one can find pictures and clips from that movie showing the P-40's, somebody posted some awhile back on this forum (showing the B-17D in the movie). One of the pictures used to appear sometimes in Western books captioned as being a real combat action shot! one of the movie P-40's diving on Japanese bombers.

Joe

Last edited:
This episode is explained in some detail in "Doomed at the Start" by William Bartsch, an excellent history of the US Army fighter units in the Philippines in 1941-42.

I have read this book and found it a good read as well. My only criticism is his over-use of the word "newbie"! :lol: He also wrote a similar account of the bombers called something like "Dec. 8th McArthur's Pearl Harbor".

Joe,

Would you happen to remember the name they painted on the side of one of these crates that was a mish-mash of P-40B and P-40E parts? Something like "whatsit". I felt sad when they eventually lost that bird. I guess I could just look it up, but I'm lazy!

Capt. Vick

ithink it might actuely be the cruiser mogami after conversion to hybrid seaplane carrier..

ithink it might actuely be the cruiser mogami after conversion to hybrid seaplane carrier..

I think you are correct. The "antenna" on the back is an exact match as is the compliment of aircraft - 3 x Petes and 4 x Jakes as she was launched. Nicely done.

Hello Mr Cole my name is Rodney Lincoln.
This aircraft is very interesting I was looking to do a skin for a flight SIM game I play. There is some doubt by members that what is in your profile is not really what you are seeing maybe you have read to much in to the pictures in terms of colours flame design? So has the Japanese magazine you got this from have in it any text explaining what the aircraft looked like. Also what is that copy I think I would like to get that copy for my files as well.

I also found another picture of this plane right nose view.

japbook21.jpg

Regards: Rodney.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back