Japanese Zero vs Spitfire vs FW 190

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All the men on both sides did heroic things because men in power were stupid and greedy. Making an analogy to football doesn't take away from any of these men's bravery.

If you only have x many planes, let's say 50, if you only have 50 fighters than placing them in a bad tactical position so they get shot down is not a wise position. If the target is your airfield then any flyable aircraft should be scrambled, all other aircraft, fuel trucks etc should be dispersed as best they can. Holes in a runway can be repaired, if you get your 50 irreplaceable fighters shot down then you are defenseless. Defending a carrier is a different matter, if it's sunk you have nowhere to land.

I am only defending the Zero here, but I'm having to attack the Spitfire to do it. The Spitfire was more or less equal to the Me109 until late in the war when the Spitfire really surpassed the me109. They traded spots several times but were more or less well matched opponents from 1939 to late 1943 or early 1944. After the Spitfire IX was introduced, I believe it was the same with the FW190. The problem with the Spitfire V fighting a Zero is it had no ace in the hole. If I had to fight a Zero over Darwin, I would have chosen an ME109 over a Spitfire because it could dive. Climb up to bomber altitude, make a gun run, split S and dive away. The Zero couldn't counter that move, it is essentially what the US fighters did. Am I super biased for American planes? Well let's see, a P39 or P40 couldnt even get to 28,000 feet, it would take an F4F-4 about 35 minutes to get to 28,000 feet (Guadalcanal pilots reported 40 minutes to 30,000 feet) and that leaves at that time, the P38 of which there were about 0 available for that area. So, looks like I'm calling it down the middle, American fighters at that time were too heavy and underpowered to even consider this interception except for the P38. The only other options to me would be F4F-3 which were out of production and probably all used up, or the P43 Lancer which needed armor (easy fix) and actual fuel tanks instead of wet wings (not really doable at all without a whole new wing).

So, in closing, do I hate the Spitfire? No. Do I respect the Zero for its abilities from introduction until mid 1943 when more powerful US fighters arrived (hellcat Corsair more P38's)? Absolutely

One last time, as per here http://darwinspitfires.com/index.php?page=spitfire-vc-versus-the-zero the Darwin MkV's and A6M's were both rated at 334 Mph, yet here Spitfire Mk.VB (Tropical) AB.320 Report a trop MkV fitted with the Merlin 45 was faster than the A6M and the Darwin MkV's at 337 Mph with a 90 gallon drop tank fitted, this spec MkV ticked every box in regards to fighting over Australia, with 4 20mm cannons this standard MkV was 40 mph faster Spitfire Mk.Vc AA.873 Report. As you can see, judging the MkV on just the Darwin battle is not a true indication of its performance.

And I forgot to add I'm a huge FW190 fan, particularly the Dora's and Ta152's, below 20,000ft a well piloted Anton could take on both the MkV and A6M at the same time with an even chance of winning in my opinion.

One last time, as per here http://darwinspitfires.com/index.php?page=spitfire-vc-versus-the-zero the Darwin MkV's and A6M's were both rated at 334 Mph, yet here Spitfire Mk.VB (Tropical) AB.320 Report a trop MkV fitted with the Merlin 45 was faster than the A6M and the Darwin MkV's at 337 Mph with a 90 gallon drop tank fitted, this spec MkV ticked every box in regards to fighting over Australia, with 4 20mm cannons this standard MkV was 40 mph faster Spitfire Mk.Vc AA.873 Report. As you can see, judging the MkV on just the Darwin battle is not a true indication of its performance.
But the Spitfire accelerated much much slower. Top speed matters little if the bad guy drops down on your tail and stays there long enough to dump a 5 second burst of cannon and machinegun fire into your plane. A P40, for all it's problems, if a Zero drops into your tail you immediately roll into your back, the P40 far exceeds the Zero on roll, pull back on the stick and drop like a rock (it ought to dive it couldn't climb worth anything) by the time the Zero rolled over the P40 was gone. It doesn't matter about how bad the P40 sucked at anything else, it had a bug out plan when things went south. The Wildcats plan was to wait until someone shot the bad guy off your back and hope it holds together (how encouraging to the poor guys flying it). The P39 was as screwed as the Spitfire, the engine was in the back so if it reviewed just a few hits it's going down.

Do you see that I'm not just maligning the Spitfire?

Besides the P38 we didn't have a plane that could fight a Zero on equal footing. A P36/Hawk 75 with a 2 speed P&W 1830 (which they never installed in one) might have been a good choice in my opinion (I'll get pushback on that from several) because of its awesome maneuverability. It did well against the slower Ki43, but it's altitude performance with a single speed P&W was awful.

And I forgot to add I'm a huge FW190 fan, particularly the Dora's and Ta152's, below 20,000ft a well piloted Anton could take on both the MkV and A6M at the same time with an even chance of winning in my opinion.
I agree that the FW190 was beyond the Zero's capability if flown like a P38, climb, dive through firing, extend away and zoom back up. Same for the ME109, fly it like a P40 that could actually get up to altitude, dive through firing, extend away, zoom back up. Almost any fighter that can climb to altitude and has a good dive and roll could do well against a Zero

How good was Zero against famous Spitfire or German FW 190?

Can a Zero beat them any chance at all?
IMO A capable pilot works wonders - everything being equal - the advantages the zero possessed were at the expense of armor protection,self sealing gas tanks,and making everything as featherweight as possible - this is what made it a good nimble dogfighter - the light weight also enabled the long range..Against earlier marks of Spit? All things equal the only real advantage i see it having is its lightweight contributing to its nimbleness - so knowing this a competent combat pilot would'nt get into a turning dogfight with one - As would probably be true for the 190 which IMO is a head and shoulders better aircraft -Its superior speed 4 20mm cannons and 2 14.7 mg's would make quick mincemeat out of the zero -

For a good comparison between the Spitfire and the Zero we need time lines showing

1. the dates different Zeros went into operation (not prototypes)
2. the dates different Spitfires went into operation in England (again not prototypes)
2b. the dates different boost limits were used by Spitfires
and last
3. the dates different Spitfires reached the far east and the boost limits they operated under.

Please note that there is a considerable difference between 2 and 3.
The Darwin Spitfires had Merlin 46 engines (mostly) which while better over 20,000ft than a Merlin 45 were often around 100hp lower in HP below 20,000ft when operated at eh same boost pressures. They were also limited to 9lbs of boost (at least that was what was used in the test?) so using similar manifold pressures to what was being used in Europe might have made considerable difference (it might also have worn out engines quicker).

The Zero was falling behind on the world stage but then the Allies were not sending the 1st class fighters to the far east (or at least not sending the newest and best) until late 1942 or early 1943.

….all these points you guys bring up has me wondering how the BoB would've turned out, if the Luftwaffe had augmented their 109's with Zero's...hmmm...:-k
The A6M would not have been ready for the BoB, seeing as it entered service in JAPAN during the same summer. If the Luftwaffe had augmented their 109's with Japanese aircraft, they would have been stuck with A5M's or Ki-27's

A late comer to this thread... but I'll add a thought. I played IL-2 Sturmovik online like a true addict. We had a scenario that pitted Spitfire Mk.V against the A6M3 over Burma or something. The Spitfires kicked butt. If a Spit got caught low and slow then the Zeke guys had a chance. The Zero's poor roll rate made even low and slow hard.

Greyman produced this chart, showing RAAF SpitfireV performance:

spt-0iii-jpg.jpg

The problem with the Spitfire V fighting a Zero is it had no ace in the hole.QUOTE]

Except high speed manoeuvrability. Get above 300 kts and the Zero's controls stiffen considerably. Keep the fight at high speed and the Zero's advantages can be effectively nullified.

But the Spitfire accelerated much much slower. Top speed matters little if the bad guy drops down on your tail and stays there long enough to dump a 5 second burst of cannon and machinegun fire into your plane. A P40, for all it's problems, if a Zero drops into your tail you immediately roll into your back, the P40 far exceeds the Zero on roll, pull back on the stick and drop like a rock (it ought to dive it couldn't climb worth anything) by the time the Zero rolled over the P40 was gone. It doesn't matter about how bad the P40 sucked at anything else, it had a bug out plan when things went south. The Wildcats plan was to wait until someone shot the bad guy off your back and hope it holds together (how encouraging to the poor guys flying it).

There's a BIG assumption in your thinking: that both aircraft are doing about the same speed. That would be highly unusual, indeed it would involve sacrificing the Spitfire's true strength: high speed manoeuverability.

Do you see that I'm not just maligning the Spitfire?

My frustration is that you keep repeating that the Spitfire has no advantage over the A6M and that's simply not backed up by the facts. I'm not defending the Spitfire. I'm questioning your repetition of statements that don't jive with the known relative performance characteristics and limitations of the zero, and which don't reflect the broader experience over Darwin.

Prior to May 1943, the Spitfires defending Darwin shot down 14 Japanese aircraft for the loss of 4 aircraft. As noted previously, the 2 May engagement was pretty much a draw in terms of kills. These statistics would indicate that the Spitfire could operate successfully against the Japanese aircraft ranged against it.

Prior to May 1943, the Spitfires defending Darwin shot down 14 Japanese aircraft for the loss of 4 aircraft. As noted previously, the 2 May engagement was pretty much a draw in terms of kills. These statistics would indicate that the Spitfire could operate successfully against the Japanese aircraft ranged against it.

Not according to http://darwinspitfires.com/index.php?page=2-raaf-air-combats-in-nwa. 2 Ki-46's and 1 Zero lost to Spitfires prior to 2 May and their were no Japanese losses on that date. During the daylight raids I make it 11 G4M's, 3 Ki-49's, 4 Zero's and 1 Ki-43 shot down or written off. Spitfires also accounted for 7 Ki-46's, an A6M-2N, and a G4M (at night).
Three of the Spitfire losses were due to return fire and 1 crashed taking evasive action.

This from the actual test between a Spitfire mark V Tropical and a Hamp:
276B1B09-DD6A-4626-9A55-B8660BBEFFD7.png
07F37E76-9186-4D65-9506-1EC725A9ACD8.png
1E0FE226-9D3D-4B0E-9C9F-ACC38A960A75.png

"Unanimous conclusion is the Spitfire is outclassed by the Hamp at all altitudes up to 20,000 feet" that is from the 2 test pilots that flew the 2 planes in the test. We have the son of the Spitfire pilot that said his dad said he bent the tail of the Spitfire 9 degrees while doing this test. I know what a Spitfire in Britain could do, Ive read the tests. But this wasn't in England, it was in a nasty, dusty, primitive condition area where the Spitfire had to use a big bulky filter, the boost wasn't up where it was in England etc. Under these conditions the Zero, which didn't care about primitive conditions, was the better combat aircraft. A Ferrari is faster on a paved highway in England, but if your driving across a 500 mile long dirt road in the outback your probably better off in a old Jeep, Land Rover or Landcruiser.

View attachment 561563View attachment 561565View attachment 561566
"Unanimous conclusion is the Spitfire is outclassed by the Hamp at all altitudes up to 20,000 feet" that is from the 2 test pilots that flew the 2 planes in the test. We have the son of the Spitfire pilot that said his dad said he bent the tail of the Spitfire 9 degrees while doing this test. I know what a Spitfire in Britain could do, Ive read the tests. But this wasn't in England, it was in a nasty, dusty, primitive condition area where the Spitfire had to use a big bulky filter, the boost wasn't up where it was in England etc. Under these conditions the Zero, which didn't care about primitive conditions, was the better combat aircraft. A Ferrari is faster on a paved highway in England, but if your driving across a 500 mile long dirt road in the outback your probably better off in a old Jeep, Land Rover or Landcruiser.
Your Ferrari/Jeep analogy is perfect here in my opinion. It's not nescesarily that the A6M is a superior plane, it's that it was superior under those conditions.
I think this applies to an awful lot of comparisons of ww2 aircraft. What's better, an Fw 190 or a P38? Well if the war is 100 miles away probably an Fw190. If its 500 miles away it would be a p38. Or what's better a P47 or a Hellcat? Well if you need to fly off of a carrier id go with the F6f. If not the P47 is probably the better choice.

View attachment 561563View attachment 561565View attachment 561566

Well if you're going to selectively quote from the report, then here's another "The Zero could not get into a firing position behind the Spitfire if the latter evaded in diving aileron turns at high speed". That's EXACTLY the point I was making...that the Spitfire had better high-speed manoeuverability. So where does that leave your "the Spitfire didn't have an ace in the hole" comment?

A couple of other selective quotes "A vertically-banked climbing turn was difficult for the Zero to follow" and then there's the "up to 20,000 ft" issue. Bottom line is the Spitfire need to start high (ie above 20,000 ft) and use high-speed diving attacks. When it's already diving at speed, then the acceleration issue is moot.

Again, I'm not arguing which aircraft was better, simply pushing back against your very definitive and absolute statements that the Spitfire had no successful tactics against the Zero compared to the P-40 and F4F. I'm afraid that's just bogus, as the above report states.

You could take this sentence and replace "Germans" with "Japanese" and "Britain" with "Midway" and "British" with "Americans", and not change its accuracy one whit. The common denominator?...over-confidence and contempt for the enemy's capabilities, AKA, arrogance and complacency. A lesson to all warriors from Sun Tzu to Crimea and Kurdistan.(And especially US Naval Aviators: "I'll take any man from any land at any game that he can name for any amount that he can count! [In my short ranged, ordnance limited, 7G, itty bitty jet]".)
Cheers,
Wes
I wonder if the Japanese would have done better in the Pacific War if they had some early defeats or big scares. Perhaps a major IJN defeat at the Battle of the Yellow Sea in August 1904, or even more recently, losing a carrier to RAF attacks during the April 1942 Ceylon raid. The Japanese need to be pushed to respect their enemy.

Well if you're going to selectively quote from the report, then here's another "The Zero could not get into a firing position behind the Spitfire if the latter evaded in diving aileron turns at high speed". That's EXACTLY the point I was making...that the Spitfire had better high-speed manoeuverability. So where does that leave your "the Spitfire didn't have an ace in the hole" comment?

A couple of other selective quotes "A vertically-banked climbing turn was difficult for the Zero to follow" and then there's the "up to 20,000 ft" issue. Bottom line is the Spitfire need to start high (ie above 20,000 ft) and use high-speed diving attacks. When it's already diving at speed, then the acceleration issue is moot.

Again, I'm not arguing which aircraft was better, simply pushing back against your very definitive and absolute statements that the Spitfire had no successful tactics against the Zero compared to the P-40 and F4F. I'm afraid that's just bogus, as the above report states.

I'm not sure "fly straight and jink up and down until the Zero runs out of bullets or someone shoots him off of you" is a real feather in the cap of an F4F-4. It somehow scratched out a 1 to 1 exchange with the Zero, but that wouldn't instill a lot of confidence in me. The P40 had a legit get out of jail free card to play, the P39 didn't, the P38 was what was needed.

Your correct, above 20,000 feet of the Spitfire started out 3,000-4,000 feet above the Zero then it dive, shoot and zoom back up with impunity. Awesome, almost any reasonably comparable 2 fighters could do that to each other. A Zero could do that to a Spitfire, P38, Hellcat or Corsair. An Me109 or FW290 could do that to any US or British fighter if they were low enough they couldn't dive away.

Read that report: the Spitfire could climb slightly better and dive a little better, but the Spitfire could not do either well enough to evade being shot down by a Zero
88C6FA4B-0C21-486F-B0B7-455D2853B6DA.png

The Spitfire in the above test was limited to 9lb boost, which placed a tremendous performance handicap on the Spitfire; 290 knots (at 15k ft) = 334 mph or about 32 mph slower than at 16lb boost. It's no wonder that the Spitfire put in a poor showing and showed low acceleration. In the RAF the Merlin 46 was approved for 16lb boost by Jan 1942:

merlin-ratings_3jan42.jpg
http:

and
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/Merlin_46_47_Power_Chart.jpg
about a 400hp loss of power at 15k ft.

SEE MY POST HERE:

A Critical Analysis of the RAF Air Superiority Campaign in India, Burma and Malaya in 1941-45

FOR MORE INFO ON THE TACTICAL USE OF 16LB BOOST IN MID 1942.

Last edited:
The Spitfire in the above test was limited to 9lb boost, which placed a tremendous performance handicap on the Spitfire; 290 knots (at 15k ft) = 334 mph or about 32 mph slower than at 16lb boost. It's no wonder that the Spitfire put in a poor showing and showed low acceleration. In the RAF the Merlin 46 was approved for 16lb boost by Jan 1942:

View attachment 561589http:

and
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/Merlin_46_47_Power_Chart.jpg
about a 400hp loss of power at 15k ft.

SEE MY POST HERE:

A Critical Analysis of the RAF Air Superiority Campaign in India, Burma and Malaya in 1941-45

FOR MORE INFO ON THE TACTICAL USE OF 16LB BOOST IN MID 1942.
I understand that. I addressed that in the part where I said: post #432

"I know what a Spitfire in Britain could do, Ive read the tests. But this wasn't in England, it was in a nasty, dusty, primitive condition area where the Spitfire had to use a big bulky filter, the boost wasn't up where it was in England etc. Under these conditions the Zero, which didn't care about primitive conditions, was the better combat aircraft."

See I addressed the higher boost. If it was that simple, why didn't they simply turn up the boost? Apparently that was done on Russian P39's, P40's about everywhere and Allison engine P51's. If I was a commander or a mechanic or another pilot watching my pilots and friends fall out of the sky right and left, I would have reset the boost regulator on the Spitfire. Does the filter keep you from running more boost? If not, why didn't they simply adjust them to have more boost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back