John D. Landers P-38

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

csaave

Recruit
Oct 31, 2008
Pacs
Can anyone of you explain me something about the p-38 of this guy?. I'm trying so hard to see some photograps or siluettes of this plane but it has been impossible.
I know he joined the 55 th FG in 1944, but i have no evidence of the p-38 he was flying in Europe. It's really funny that you have all the information you want for his p-51, but nothing about his lightning.

I will wait your notes anxiously.

Thank you

Greetings,

I too am interested in Lander's P-38. I am researching Former Students of Texas A&M who were fighter pilots in WW2. John Landers was class of 42 and knew Jack Ilfrey while they were there. Neither graduated. I have found one photo of him sitting in a camo P-38 but no view of his markings. (sorry I can't find the photo now but will LIst link it when I find it)

According to 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk it only has a listing of a squadron code of CG-?.

I know he scored 4 kills in P-38s.
see 55th Fighter Group - USAAF

LANDERS JOHN D Major 38 FTR 06-25-1944 - - European 1 kill
LANDERS JOHN D Major 38 FTR 07-07-1944 - - European 3 kills

Regards
Doug Schwetke

Thank you for the information. Actually I have no time to investigate (My son Pau, who is 3 years old, is monopolizing all my time). I'll try to know something more about this plane and if I get some picture, I will send you.
Happy new year from the sunny Spain (today not so sunny)

If the squadron code of CG is correct, it would be the 38th FS of the 55th FG. They don't list a SN for the aircraft, but they list the markings as "Texas Longhorn". The only thing I can find with that nose art for Texas Longhorn is P-40

Landers_P-40E_Texas_Longhorn_2.jpg

Hello, In searching for information on my girl friends father who happened to be a crew chief in the 55th FS I may have a picture of John Landers in his P-38J with the nose art of "Peoria Pulveriser". I am still wait for conformation of this from another source. If this is acuarate, it appears that my girl friends father was John Landers crew chief. As soon as I can get this confirmed I will forward the information.

If anyone is familiar with that nose art I would really like some more information.

Regards,
40plusmxr

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, and saw your thread, which prompted me to join. I have been researching John landers for 10 years now. Much assistance has been given to me by his family, including his daughter.

John did not join the 55thFG until April '44. He had been teaching P-38 pilots in U.S. for the previous 9 months. He shared the this P-38 'Peoria Pulveriser' with another pilot, who will become clear real soon. It is interesting that he was a captain, and was promoted to Major whilst flying this aircraft. The picture of Landers standing with the map was a press shot, and is not believed to be representative of any specific aircraft according to Tabbat...the owner of the shot, though it is a J model just like 'Puliveriser'. I have all Johns gun camera film from his P-38 kills, as well as his P-51 material. I also possess very rare material of Landers with one of his P-40's in the Pacific. Not liked by many enlisted men, he was (however) one of the finest fighter pilots of the war.

I am interested in comments made here about him NOT graduating. I would like to enter into dialog. I have pictures of him at flight school, and he by all accounts DID graduate, along with his life long friend John Buchanon (who is still with us) who also has a vast collection of images of their time at flight school.

Best Regards

Nate

I am interested in comments made here about him NOT graduating. I would like to enter into dialog. I have pictures of him at flight school, and he by all accounts DID graduate, along with his life long friend John Buchanon (who is still with us) who also has a vast collection of images of their time at flight school.

Best Regards

Nate[/COLOR]

Not graduating from flight school or Texas A&M?

Well, as he obviously graduated from flight school...A M really.

I apologise ...but thought the latter was a given...hence a wish enter into dialogue about the former.

apropos of nothing - I have John D's 28 ga Browning O/U that I bought from him in mid 80s' not too long before he passed away. He was living at Lake Granbury, TX at the time.

I don't push down barb wire fences with it but I use it all the time on quail and dove.

Greetings,

I too am interested in Lander's P-38. I am researching Former Students of Texas A&M who were fighter pilots in WW2. John Landers was class of 42 and knew Jack Ilfrey while they were there. Neither graduated. I have found one photo of him sitting in a camo P-38 but no view of his markings. (sorry I can't find the photo now but will LIst link it when I find it)

According to 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk it only has a listing of a squadron code of CG-?.

Regards
Doug Schwetke
In about 1966 I met Mr Landers(He was probably 45-46) in Brown Root Inc field office in Belle Chase, Louisiana. He was a Project Manager or some similar position at the time. Did from time to time pilot the Company Gruman Widgeon Amphib from time to time. My father was office manager there at the time..they all thought the guy could walk on water. I was about 12 and I remember he was a big man with the great smile you see in the few pictures. If his family reads this they can be so proud of the man as I am.
Great American Hero Treasure
Joe Wray
Bayfield CO

I was fortunate enough to sit down and interview Mr. Landers at his home in Granbury Texas around 1985. He was in his early to mid sixties at that time. I was in the eighth grade and was writing a paper for an advanced history class. My impression was that he was a very gracious and humble man. My paper was selected by the Texas Society of Historians and was published in the Texas Historian Magazine. I have a copy if anyone wants a scanned version. He was shot down in over New Guinea during his time in the Pacific. There is an article on this in a Reader's digest from late 1942. I'd have to check to get the exact month.

Hello members,
I see that this threat about Lt.Col. John Landers is quiet for several years. Nevertheless I will ask you a question, hoping one of you can help me out.
My interest concerning this ace refers to the time at the end of the war, when Lt. Col. Landers was stationed in England, and just after the war when he got back in the United States. The period before he married a second time to be precise. I have had contact with his daughter (from this second marriage with Katherine/Kathryn), but for her those years were rather sensitive.
Any information will be appreciated!

Greetings,

Regards
Doug Schwetke

Greetings,

Regards
Doug Schwetke
I realize this this thread is ten plus years old. However, I am the son of T/Sgt Vincent Hrupek who was the crew chief of the 'Peoria Pulverizer' for Captain Willard Kreft. Landers replaced Kreft. I have recently provided photos of the Peoria Pulverizer to Peter Randall of the Littefriends website and Major Landers in the P-38J 43-28341 you folks are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back