Ju 87 Stuka (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Ju-87 was a good ground-support aircraft.However,it was vulnerable to modern fighter opposition.

stuka.jpg

And sorry about the first post, computer glitch

Last edited by a moderator:
A short note here it is not the B variant of the Stuka bomber. A such gun pods were used with the G-1 and G-2 types mostly.

I disagree.

One man's ugly is another man's pretty...

The only surviving complete Ju 87G on display at the RAF Museum at Hendon. Note the lack of dive brakes and the gun pod mounts under the wings. The museum has only one complete gun pod. Owned by the RAF Air Historic Branch at the time, this aircraft was refurbished to running condition for the Battle of Britain feature film made in the 1960s; it was considered for restoration to flying condition, but the effort was beyond the budget of the fim company and the RAF. That's why the models used in the film resemble late model Ju 87s and not the more accurate Ju 87B-2 in action during the summer of 1940.

Ju87G_zpsf9f74d93.jpg

Last edited:
I had to watch the film clip of the stuka attack again. Never noticed before, but they do resemble D/G's more than B's!
One of the early bits seem to show a B's "grin", but any shots in profile,...

Never noticed before, but they do resemble D/G's more than B's!

Here's a clip from the film, probably the same one you watched, Meatloaf. Take a look at 2:02, 2:27 and 2:34.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVBO61qg-kc

After the film producers realised that restoring the Stuka to flying condition was going to cost too much, they decided to use Percival Proctors modified to look like Stukas. Apparently their handling characteristics in the air were terrible and they stuck to using the models they were going to blow up in these sequences.

it was vulnerable to modern fighter opposition.

I don't think there was a dive bomber in WW2 that wasn't.

Last edited:
The aircraft now in the RAFM was actually made ready for filming, and light meter testing done. The engine had been run, and it was proposed to make it airworthy for filming, a structural and mechanical survey indicating that this was possible, with relatively little work, as the airframe and engine were in good condition generally. However, although the expense of doing so was a hurdle, the main factor preventing its use was the potential risk to such a valuable aircraft, it being the only completely intact example still in existence.
Here's some shots of the Ju87 at the time of production of the movie, one showing it rigged in flying attitude for the light meter tests, and a shot of one of the 'Proctukas', as they were called.
The two B&W pics were published in 'Flight International' in 1969.

Attachments

• BoB Film file 005.jpg
    BoB Film file 005.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Flight_Intl-09-11-69_Proctuka.jpg
    Flight_Intl-09-11-69_Proctuka.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Flight_Intl-09-11-69_genuine_Stuka.jpg
    Flight_Intl-09-11-69_genuine_Stuka.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 293
I was wondering when you might chime in Terry, good pics; unfortunately my scanner is busted, so I couldn't post any pics of the Proctor conversion here.

Last edited:
Ju 87 VJ88 Condor Legion Spain 1938

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87A-VJ88-Condor-Legion-side-profile-view-showing-camuflage-Spain-1938-01.jpg

Ju-87B1

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87B1-Stuka-in-early-unit-markings-coded-(EK+29)-02.jpg

Ju 87B1, Poland 1939

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87B-Stukas-over-Poland-1939-01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back