Ju88 A2 Location of Rato packs under wings - Help Needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gromit

Airman
Mar 8, 2011
Hello People.

I'm building the 1/32 Revell JU88 and want to add the MDC Rato Packs to make the A2. I am having diffiuclty locating a reference showing the rato mounting point on the ju88. Can anyone assist?

Cheers

Gromit:D

this is the Arado with rocket assist so my guess would be pretty much the same arrangement

Attachments

• AradoAr234BlitzBomber.jpg
    AradoAr234BlitzBomber.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 135
There are a number of references for Arado and Gigant even, but nothing I can find for JU88. The JU88A was fitted with dive brakes and I was wondering if they interfered with mounting the RATO. Its possible that that RATO was mounted over the dive brakes (not used during take off) or outboard of them. It would make sense to mount the RATO as close as possible to the fuselage so....any further thoughts?

BTW, thats a nice Arado, where is it?

I think I've seen a pic of them mounted on the mid rear fuselage, but not sure. I'll have a bit of a search in my references.

Nope, they were on the wings on the A2 - must be a later version I'm thinking of. Found these so far, from the Kagero book 'Ju88, Vol 1'.
Hope this helps a bit (BTW, they're in PDF format, so might need to download).

Attachments

• Ju88A2 RATO.pdf
    169.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Ju88A2 RATO 2.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 167
Gromit, you are wecome, airframes document seems to comfirm the wing mount. The unit could be dropped once airborne so dive break problems would be moot.
that pic is from the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Int. Airport near Washington, D.C. It is in effect the overflow from the Smithsonian collection on the mall

Attachments

• 1607468.jpg
    1607468.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 1255252.jpg
    1255252.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 3330559.jpg
    3330559.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 606274.jpg
    606274.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 2534959.jpg
    2534959.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Nope, they were on the wings on the A2 - must be a later version I'm thinking of. Found these so far, from the Kagero book 'Ju88, Vol 1'.
Hope this helps a bit (BTW, they're in PDF format, so might need to download).

Thanks Airframes Thats the goods! I've just purchased that Kagero reference online.

Appreciate the help:p

Gromit, you are wecome, airframes document seems to comfirm the wing mount. The unit could be dropped once airborne so dive break problems would be moot.
that pic is from the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Int. Airport near Washington, D.C. It is in effect the overflow from the Smithsonian collection on the mall

The Smithsonian is a bucket list destination! I've had the pleasure of Duxford UK but haven't set foot in the US. Given the unusual value of the Aus Dollar I may remedy that shortly! really appreciate the help fellas. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back