Junkers Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't think of a single thing that is better or preferable about the Ju88 compared to the Mosquito - the Mossie is a very inoffensive aircraft to look at (in fact i think its the most beautiful aircraft to come out of the war) and its history speaks for itself - I can't understand why anyone would prefer that ugly, German Ju88 8)

That was a good read on the Ju88 by jj1982 - As I'm just reading Capt. Eric [Winkle] Brown's book,' Wings of the Luftwaffe' at present, he's test flying all these different types of captured German aircraft , and his desciptions are like 'being there' - I personally like the shape of the Ju88 G series, the aircraft overall were, I feel, the best all-round contender to the Mosquito of all the German aircraft ! It was a bloody good aircraft in all it's roles, and being a divebomber too , surprised me. - I do distinctly recall reading about this 'T' version though , it served in the MTO and was reputedly the fastest of them all . Has anyone else heard of this model ? I remember it was based there around the time Johannes Steinhoff was flying with the 77 staffel and it was the 'PR Aircraft the Allies couldn't catch...' - BUT I do have to vote the MOSQUITO as a better aircraft , all the different roles etc.; not exactly a 'divebomber' like the Ju88's built-in capacity, but it 'skip-bombed' and was more manoevrable - and rocket-firing - it was 'aesthetically' well-designed and what craftsmanship to build over 7000 of them ! - The wood construction was the reason they were so good, as they were easier to repair and lighter, and allowed them to build more Lancasters , eh LANC ??! - Lastly , thanks to Crazy, Hot Stuff and others for the work to make this an excellent website - Cheers !

I prefer the Mossie for it's superior performance, but the 88 is my favorite of the two as an aircraft in general. I never latched onto the mossie like some

i see where you are coming from, the mossie was a great plane but it doesnt really have any charisma :| ive always preferred the 8 too

as for the mistel composite, i have a really cheap pun i could use but i wont :D

:shock: The Mosquito was one of the most amazing achivements in aviation history! a fighter-bomber that had amazing speed, amazing handling, an ability to perform almost any task other aircraft had to be individually designed for AND perform them better than anyone else - it had great weapons, anything from rockets, to cannons to a huge 'molins' gun that it attacked ships with! it flew as a recon aircraft, intrusion fighter missions, bombing runs, nightfighter - it did all those things.... and above all the most amazing thing was that it was a state-of-the-art made monoplane faster than anything else in the sky and so invaluable to our airforce that i am convinced that without it we wouldn't have won the war at all and even though every other aircraft we had (spitfire, hurricane etc) was made of metal...the Mosquito was mostly made of Plywood!

hence its nickname the 'wooden wonder'

Usually i agree with you on things like this but i must say you couldn't be more wrong if you tried matey....I WILL convert you! You WILL love the Mossie! as a Brit its your national responsibility! :twisted:

I heartily second that Whaler ! - Whilst I feel the Ju88 had many good points, the Mosquito's collective firepower, rockets etc. were equated to a broadside from a Cruiser , all from a wooden aircraft - They are and always will be unique in Aviation History - that's why a chap down here is making brand new fuselages which hopefully some of the 31 survivors worldwide will benefit from - Mosquitos Rule !!!!

I heartily second that Whaler ! - Whilst I feel the Ju88 had many good points, the Mosquito's collective firepower, rockets etc. were equated to a broadside from a Cruiser , all from a wooden aircraft - They are and always will be unique in Aviation History - that's why a chap down here is making brand new fuselages which hopefully some of the 31 survivors worldwide will benefit from - Mosquitos Rule !!!!

Mossie was a great plane, but any pilot with experience on it will tell you that you had to keep a close eye on the history of each one, a few hard landings and you avoiuded it like the plague! The wooden structure would fail without warning after such treatment. The Israelis had a problem in the '48 war with delamination, where the engines would go ahead without you! The hot dry climate was not what deHavilland had in mind when he built her.

nope, you wont convert me, despite your fantastic argueing skills nothing you can do or say will make me like the mossie :| i know that it was a great plane but i dont like it! its so good i find it uninteresting and boring

kiwimac said:
Yup,

Just one MORE reason the JU88 was the superior aircraft! <smug>

Kiwimac

I'm supposed to be diplomatic as a Moderator but i must say Kiwi

what a crock of :pottytrain4:

Please Kiwi...can you send me a post full of the many reasons why the Ju88 was better than the Mossie...i'm fasinated to see what you have to say...but make sure your arguments are good ones...because i'll enjoy disproving them more... 8)

It could be said that, in any discussion of two weapons on opposite sides, the one on the winning side must be the better! But of course,I am far too open-minded to suggest such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back