Just finished listening the entire Van Halen discography... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Der Adler:

Well, i had heard the name for sure...also i might recall seeing CD´s with the VH logo when sniffing through the shelfs in music stores; but the music that is...no.

I digress Dan: "Mean Street" is a brilliant piece. The closing part: bass, guitar and drums...that could be the perfect definiton of Coolness in Rock n Roll.

Have you guys heard any comments with regard to the capabilities of Eddie Van Halen´s son in the bass? I´ve heard comments suggesting of "nepotism" in the band.

Evangilder...well, at least try to grab your guitar from time to time!

Ok, Adler, I'm gonna have to go back through that thread and see what I missed. I struck out on Van Halen and Aerosmith. Maybe some 10 songs from Gordon Lightfoot? :lol:

Good to see you back and hope you had a good holiday. Not too much marzipan!

I have to add to this i fell in love with this band.

I feel i can watch that "Mean Street" video for a hundred times and won´t get tired of it. Those early 80s videos were so simple they are interesting to watch. This particular video, in all its simplicity, sends a message as strong or perhaps stronger than those over manufactured videos made by so many of the present-day bands.

I have been exposed to several other heavy metal bands that became notorious in the 80s, and in my view none of them come close to the energy these 4 guys transmit.

Might sound weird, but one of my colleagues here, was watching the "Mean Street" video with me, and during the closing part he "exploded" and said -not in english though- something like: "Damn!!! I want to be happy..."

As for the closing part, after Roth´s speech, its really something. There´s some real strong positive vibe about this band. Fun seemed pure and authentic in these guys. Look at the bass player´s attitude while Roth goes on with his leg split and effeminate moves: "I seriously love what i do." Live your life to the fullest.

Njaco...yes!

As i said here, i´ve been kind of heavily exposed to those 80s heavy metal bands here, including their videos.

In my view the bulk of those suck big time; there are several bands whose members looked like cheap corner whores from some city slum: crazy hair, lipstick and stuff.

For some reason, and when referring to the looks, this guy, Roth, is the only one that seemed cool and energetic enough -not mentioning the top quality of Van Halen´s music-. Putting his excellent vocalist skills apart, perhaps it was his athletic abilities that made him stand out from others, take a look at a high kick jump he makes on the Mean Street video...that was some height he reached there.

Udet, I'm gonna have to get some of my pics posted of me and my "hair band". :lol:

Spandex pants with ripped black fishnet stocking over them.
satin shirt open and tied with some sort of belt around the middle.
hair to the middle of my back, permed and frosted with highlights.

When it got to the makeup I said, no, that was the line. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Diamond Dave was the first, starting in 1978 and all others tried to follow but didn't quite get there.

To me Van Halen died in 1985.

Udet, I'm gonna have to get some of my pics posted of me and my "hair band". :lol:

Spandex pants with ripped black fishnet stocking over them.
satin shirt open and tied with some sort of belt around the middle.
hair to the middle of my back, permed and frosted with highlights.

When it got to the makeup I said, no, that was the line. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Diamond Dave was the first, starting in 1978 and all others tried to follow but didn't quite get there.

To me Van Halen died in 1985.

Me, too; they were still Van Halen with Sammy, but it just wasn't quite the same. Sammy made it all a little too serious for my taste.

The two Van Halen shows I saw with Dave were definitely better than the one show I saw with Sammy.

Njaco...are u serious??

Yeah, i can understand fashion poses specific sets of problems; perhaps the main problem about fashion could be how funny -or even ridiculous- one might seem as new so-called fashion "trends" emerge.

It is probably my age, but i have not yet experienced anything such as seeing photos of myself from past years that would lead me to say: "holy crap!!! what the hell was i thinking with all those clothes and hairstyle!!!". (This is not to suggest you think you did look ridiculous back then Njaco).

Since i left childhood behind my hair has always been either "no hair" -shaved, skinhead, that way i have it today- or kind of long to my shoulders. Girlies like shaved heads. hehehe

SodStitch, hello.

Well, so far, of all the Van Halen addicts i´ve met so far, none prefer Sammy Hagar over David Lee. They however recognize Hagar as a fine musician and told me Van Halen made some serious and very succesful world touring with Sammy though.

As in all other human circumstances that´s a serious issue most bands that attain commercial success might confront sooner or later: the departure or demise of one or more of the founding members. The replacements will unaviodably face serious and perhaps aggressive comparisons between their abilities and those displayed by the departing founding member.

Talking about hair, here´s a photo of myself when i was 5-6 years old (photo made circa 1991).

Attachments

• adrian.JPG
    adrian.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 99
Van Ha;en is one of my fave 80's bands. my favorite song of theirs is "dreams" cos it sounds so aviation-like. plus they made that song for the Blue Angels, I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back