Knife attack in Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I hope our friend Shinpachi is safe!

Japan knife attack: At least 19 dead - CNN.com

(CNN)At least 19 people were killed and 25 injured in a stabbing spree at a facility for disabled people west of Tokyo, making it one of Japan's deadliest mass killings since World War II.

Officer Satomi Kurihara of the Sagamihara Fire Department confirmed the death toll at the Tsukui Yamayurien facility in Sagamihara, a residential area approximately 40 kilometers (25 miles) west of the capital. Satoshi Uematsu, a 26-year-old who worked at the facility until February, broke in through a window about 2 a.m. Tuesday (1 p.m. ET Monday), Kanagawa Prefecture officials said at a news conference. Police said they received a call from an employee of the facility reporting the attack, according to state broadcaster NHK.

In a brief press conference, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga confirmed that there was no terror link with ISIS. He added that the government would analyze information from the city government and the police department, and that the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare would ensure this kind of incident does not happen again.

About 3 a.m., Uematsu turned himself in at the Sagamihara police station, carrying a bloodstained knife and cloth, officials said.

The 7.5-acre site is home to 149 residents, aged between 19 and 75, according to the Kanagawa prefectural website. Just under a third of the people living at the facility are elderly. A total of 222 people work at the facility, but only nine were on the premises when the incident occurred.

The incident sent shock waves through Japan, where mass killings are rare. Because gun ownership is highly restricted, mass stabbings and poisonings are more common, CNN's Paula Hancocks said. In June 2001, eight children were killed when a former janitor entered an Ikeda elementary school in Osaka and began stabbing students at random. In June 2008, a man ran over a group of people with his truck and then stabbed 18, killing seven, in Tokyo's famous Akihabara gaming district.

The biggest loss of life in Japan's recent history was in 1982, when 24 people died after a Japan Air Lines pilot crashed a flight into Tokyo Bay. The last time Sagamihara made global headlines was in 2012 when Naoko Kikuchi, a member of the Japanese doomsday cult responsible for the 1995 nerve gas attack on the Tokyo subway, was arrested there. The attack killed 13 people and injured more than 5,500 people. The cult, Aum Shinrikyo, was responsible for another sarin gas attack the previous year that killed seven people and sickened some 200 more.

Like they say, when there's a will there's a way, just add it to the craziness happening around the world now.

Why do people wanting to change the world think killing the disabled, children, priests or just random groups of innocent people will achieve it. I would prefer them to go for a swim and battle the great white shark.

They don't actually think that Pbehn. That is just the rhetoric they sprew. They attack disabled, children, priest and random groups of innocent people because they are easy targets and usually can't fight back. You don't see these gutless cowards attacking police headquarters or army bases.

They don't actually think that Pbehn. That is just the rhetoric they sprew. They attack disabled, children, priest and random groups of innocent people because they are easy targets and usually can't fight back. You don't see these gutless cowards attacking police headquarters or army bases.
I know, its a bit like people never jumping onto jagged rocks when they commit suicide, no sense at all.

Not to detract from this tragic event, but the town in Germany I lived in for 12 years before moving to the US in 2012 (I consider it my home town...), was hit by a suicide bomber.

Hit me pretty hard. Lots of friends there whom I consider family.

1 dead, 12 wounded. Fortunately the only one killed was the bomber himself.

What amazed me is that it has been reported that he sent a letter in February to the government outlining what he was planning and the authorities did nothing about it. Hopefully he will now get the mental help that he truly needs. My condolences to the Japanese people and the families of the dead.

Not to detract from this tragic event, but the town in Germany I lived in for 12 years before moving to the US in 2012 (I consider it my home town...), was hit by a suicide bomber.

Hit me pretty hard. Lots of friends there whom I consider family.

1 dead, 12 wounded. Fortunately the only one killed was the bomber himself.
I had the same feeling for the priest killed in Rouen a place I worked in many times and one of the few places I have worked that I would recommend for a holiday. People celebrating mass dont deserve that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back