Konski & Krüger Box ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I recently acquired a box made by Konski & Krüger, Berlin N4, dated 1941, and it has a Luftwaffe stamp on it.
I know that Konski & Krüger also made Engima machines.
I believe it is a communication switchboard device. Can anyone help me Identify what this is?
Translated German words: Monitoring Cabinet to Corresponding Terminals
Listening Speaking Keys Plugs
Was this used with the cipher machine Enigma?

PS It is for sale.
This is definitely an interesting WW2 box

Attachments

• IMG-4189.jpg
    IMG-4189.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG-4190.jpg
    IMG-4190.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-4191.jpg
    IMG-4191.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-4192.jpg
    IMG-4192.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 26
I'm not sure, never seen one of those but it's not part of the enigma itself I think.
Wether it was used in the enigma communication process at any point in time, I cannot say. But Konsky & Kruger made many electronic devices, including cinema speakers in the '40e, so it's very possible it's not related to enigma at all.

But I'm also not that much of an expert on the matter, although I did write that simulator. I would contact the enigma museum (Enigma Museum. If it had anything to do with enigma, they should know.

Cool box though. Would be interesting to know what it is.

Edit: I think I agree that It'sa communication switch board of some sort when looking closely at the photos. The words "rufen" (call) and sprechen (talk) indicate in that direction.

Last edited:
I would say switchboard. Not enigma. One of the labels says mithuren/sprechen. ( listen in / talk ). That was not a function on enigma. But is on a switchboard.

I fact i believe it a part of this Grosser Feldklappenschrank - Axis History Forum
It's definitely not part of the enigma machine itself indeed. That was text based only and the messages were sent in normal morse code.

But enigma was more than the machine itself, it was a whole protocol and I cannot absolutely sure say that it was never used in that workflow. But I'm inclined to say no. And it could very well be part of that Feldklappenschrank that you posted ;)

But It's a cool box nonetheless. The similarities in construction between this and the enigmas is striking.

Last edited:
Judging by the German words there and their translation it is a kind of the telephone traffic control/ telephone tapping device. The "überwachungsschrank" means 'überwachungs" - monitoring and the "schrank" - box/cabinet. So .. monitoring /surveillance/control box. Anyway its smells to me like the Abwehr.

yep ... and just found ... the full set of it and just this device can be seen with the link below .. according to the info there, the only persons responsible for monitoring telephone traffic might use the surveillance box. And the only person was the head of service/ the intelligence officer ( Dienststellenleiter (Nachrichtenoffizier) . The monitoring device also could detect an illegal wiretapping and worked with ( Snautzer01 is right ) the "Der große Feldklappenschrank (gr. FKl, earlier FK-16)" what was the large telephone switchboard/monitoring multichannel station ... see the second link below

My pleasure. :wave:

BTW ... trading here isn't allowed ... post adited.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Notice sign forbidden to listen in. So no abwehr or the like scenario standard on this type of equipement

View attachment 680636

View attachment 680635

Yep .. therefore the box was the additional equipment and could be attached when needed.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back