Kovozavody 1:72 scale Me 108

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Ever decide you just wanted to build something basic, and fairly quick out of your stash ? Then later wish you'd just hit yourself in the head with a ballpene hammer and gone to bed early ? This looks like a nice little kit. Decent detail and a nice surface finish, The cockpit glass is crystal clear and comes with decals to build a bunch of different versions. That's pretty much where it ends. Tons of flash, huge attachment points, no locating pins and nothing, and I mean NOTHING quite fits like it's supposed to. Were talking files, motor tool and burs and scrapers and chisels.

boxcover.jpg

Me108 (2)r.jpg

Me108 (3)r.jpg

I've come across a bit of a problem hopefully some one can steer me in the right direction. As far as painting, I like the version marked with a "B" the three colour scheme. The directions call for RLM 61,62,63 on the topside. None of these colours match the picture. I've spent a fair bit of time trying to find what group and where this plane may have been used and nothing. Not only that but after looking at hundreds of pictures of the real thing and other models, I have not found one example of this version. I know some early planes used a green, grey, brown scheme but I don't remember the right colours. Is this a legit version or something the manufacturer dreamed up ? ( kind of like my Ju-88 with yellow nacelles ) I may just end up doing the version marked "A", it looks pretty slick as well.

boxpaint-r.png

instructionspaint-r.jpg

RLM 61 was a dark brown, 62 an olive green, and 63 a light grey so not sure what doesn't match your profiles. These colours were applied briefly as a standard to all front line aircraft at the end of 1936 until a number of factors resulted in replacement with 70/71 in 1938. Given the Bf108 saw service in this time, it stands to reason that the colours may have been used.

By the way, if you do the Hungarian or Japanese one, you can entire it in GB 45 which starts Saturday.

Oh that's a great picture ! Thanks I must have spen a few hours looking !. It looks to me that the RLM 61 doesn't match the others look right. To me it looks more of a dark grey than brown. I suppose I could try using a mix to match the brown colour closer. It could be the accuracy of the Model Master paint is off ? As for the group build I kind of started it a bit early. Isn't that cheating ? I was a actually thinking about doing a Dornier 18.
Kustenfliegergruppe 2/106 Based in Brest 23-7-40 to 29-8-40 Channel rescue. I can't find any pictures of that group either. I'd like to find out what lettering was used. Info says that it was changed to KU/FL Gruppe 906 but that doesn't help me either. The Heinkel 115 is another possibility if I can find more info on the relevant group.

paint-r.jpg

Oh, the Do 18 would be cool. According to my info, Kustenfliegergruppe 106 had the code M2+. The squadron letter would be K if they followed the standard coding. Aircraft letter in red.

Like this:

2_11.jpg

It looks to me that the RLM 61 doesn't match the others look right. To me it looks more of a dark grey than brown. I suppose I could try using a mix to match the brown colour closer. It could be the accuracy of the Model Master paint is off ?

View attachment 567898

Please don't look at the tone of the colour used in the instruction. These should be never trusted because these are printed with paints as cheap as possible. The RLM 61 was dark brown colour but just of the grey tinge.

Here you are the two chips of the suggested colours that may be found via the net. As you may notice the Hu 113 is lighter and more brownish ( rusty ) while the recommended by the instruction Hu 98 is darker and just more greyish.

hu113_a.jpg
hu98_a.jpg

But here you are what the Humbrol offeres in practice. You really may go insane seeing that.

hu113.jpg
hu98.jpg

But when the Hu 98 is applied it looks like that... madness isn't it?

hu98_.jpg

the pic source: Tie Coloring – Humbrol #98 » THE INDUSTRIAL LEAD

To sum up.. my list of colours syas that for the RLM 61 it may be the Humbrol 113 but the Humbrol 98 of the kit instruction seems to much better. However the Model Master equivalent for the Hu 113 enamel is suggested the MM 2075 what is nothing more but your MM RLM 61 Dunkelbraun.
I would say you should use the MM paint but just stir it very well. However if you consider the MM enamel to be too grey than brown you may add a some of brown or just red to that.

Well there is quite a variation with the colours from brand to brand. The Vallejo 61 is more brown than the MM 61 but the Vallejo 63 is green. I think I'll stick with the MM and add some red to the 61 and see what happens. I'm not very confident in the Vallejo, haven't had much luck with it so far.

paints (1)r.jpg

Something else I might add in the name dropping department. Back in the 70s I saw a Me 108 fly at the Abbotsford Airshow a couple of times. In the early 80s when I was taking flying lessons I worked for a guy named Bert Madden rebuilding floats. He owned the helicopter I was training on. One day at lunch he introduces me to a friend of his and mentioned he was a WW2 German ace. We got to talking and I mentioned the 108 at the air show and he said " that was me" That's how I met Franz Stigler. I had quite a few meetings with him over the next few years over lunch. We talked about warbirds quite a bit, in fact it was just about all we talked about. Any ways I kind of lost touch with him during the 90s. Long before the " Charlie Brown" episode came to light. he certainly never mentioned it to me. I feel privileged to have known him. Wish I had kept better touch with him and saddened to hear of his passing. he sold the plane not long after losing his license. I believe to some one in Australia.

Stigler-r.jpg

Well there is quite a variation with the colours from brand to brand. The Vallejo 61 is more brown than the MM 61 but the Vallejo 63 is green. I think I'll stick with the MM and add some red to the 61 and see what happens. I'm not very confident in the Vallejo, haven't had much luck with it so far.

View attachment 567986

Yep.. the MM colours look good IMHO.

My favorite '108 was the one used by the US in G.B. before--and maybe after!--we joined the war. True Blue/Chrome Yellow....!!!

The cockpit builds up pretty nice. A ton of flash on the parts but not bad for the scale. The PE belts were also added. Shame it doesn't fit inside the fuselage !

Me108 (6)r.jpg

Me108 (7)r.jpg

Me cutting the rear portion of the cockpit off as per the instructions from a set of vacu-formed canopies.

Me108 (8)r.jpg

Me re attaching the back portion of the cockpit because the vacu formed canopy doesn't fit, Ok so it fits OK it just doesn't line up with anything and the rear bulkhead of the cockpit winds up right in the middle of the window.

Me108 (9)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back