Lancaster Carburettor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Evan.... do you know I shivered ( with a loving passion) even at the thought of being allowed anywhere near their Lancs. But I dont think they would let me 'touch' it if they saw what a mess I have made of the PCB on my TV remote control M8

Lancs... is it the same one and if so how did you manage that ? ( ya begger). Go to page 294 when you get it....it made me tingle... pure magic! you might need a magnifying glass though, the print is teeny tiny.

CC lol at the 'ner'

Love to all. Cripps.

Im not worried about how long they take, ive got a Focke-Wulf book to finish! But by the time ive finished that (Probably by tomorrow night) then I will start getting impatient about the other books.

Lancs..... Discount hey, ummmm! I likes the sound of that hunny, good for you. Let me know what you think when you have had chance to give it a butchers. I'm still fascinated by it....fantastic piece of workmanship... AND a beaut to look at.... now who does that remind me of???
Hey CC did you get that Lancs book in the end?!?

hey cripps you'll absolutely love the other book CC got for me, it's absolutely amazing, i've seen it on amazon so you can still get it...........

My Love for the Lancaster MK1 (the plane... Lancs calm down);

Why the Lancaster MK1 rather than the MK11 or Mk111. Five companies, two of which were Manchester based, manufactured the Lancaster MK1.

Avro of which 840 were assembled and test flown at Manchester and Metropolitan - Vickers, of which 944 were produced at the Manchester Mosley Rd works in Manchester, but were also assembled and test-flown by Avro at Woodford.

So the MK1 had many Manchester links, the Lancaster's predecessor was also called the 'Manchester' which was itself a fine plane, but not quite as dear to my heart, and in my view not as beautiful as the 'Lancs'. The Manchester 'bless her' wasn't big enough to carry the 18,000lb to 22,000lb bombs, amongst other modifications, which were required to 'fight the fight'.

The first Lancaster MK1 off the production line flew on 9th January 1941, and on Christmas Eve of 1941 three aircrafts were delivered to No 44 squadron for operational trials. It became operational in March 1942, with its powerful 4x 1640hp Rolls Royce Merlin engines.The Lancaster MK1 was an immediate operational success and remained in production right up to the end of the hostilities.
Part way through the introduction of the more powerful Merlin XX engine, was to lead to an even more successful bomber, giving greater speed and an even better take-off. This too was soon to be replaced by a Merlin 22 and then the Merlin 24 engines, both giving greater boost to take- off and climb, increase in speed, together with, a further increase in the maximum take-off weight, to 68,000lb, which allowed for bigger and better bombs to be carried.

Other developments were improvements in both navigation and bombing radar.

Towards the end of 1941 production of the Lancaster MK1 was accelerating so rapidly that there were fears that airframe production would soon outstrip Merlin availability, so the authorities had to consider using a different engine.

The choice went to the Bristol Hercules V1 radial engine, the Lancaster would need modifying and two prototypes of the 'Lancaster MK11 were planned. Not replacing the present MK1 but as a new development.

The beginning of 'The AVRO Lancaster':

Had a crew of seven or eight.

Max speed 28.7 mph

Max range 2.5000 miles

Ceiling 22.000

Held two 303 browning machine guns in the nose turret and dorsal turret and four -tail turret.

Payload of 22.000+ when modified.
(Capable of carrying the 22,000lb 'Grand Slam' bomb)

Span of 102 ft

Length 69'4"

Height 20' 6"

7,374 Lancaster's were produced and flown in WW2, used by the British, Canadian, French and Argentine armies. The majority of them with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. Of the 31 Victoria Crosses awarded to men of the British and Commonwealth air forces, 22 went to men of Bomber Command. Of these 22 awards, ten were made to members of Lancaster aircrews.

It was 23 of the Lancaster bombers that were adapted for the delivery of the 'bouncing bomb' designed by Dr Barnes Wallis for the celebrated attack by 617 squadron in May 1943 on the Mohne, Eder, Sorpe, Ennerpe and Lister dams which controlled water levels in the rivers and canals of the Ruhr industrial region. Another special weapon designed by Barnes Wallis and again carried mainly by the Lancaster, was the 'Tallboy'. This was a streamlined bomb, designed to reach supersonic speed before impacting, which gave it considerable penetration before detonation. Used on battleships, railway tunnels, communication targets and U boats.

When the Lancaster MK1 entered service with Nos 44 and 97 squadrons in March 1942, Air Vice Marshal Arthur 'Bomber' Harris had been commander-in-chief of bomber command for only a few weeks. His command was changing its offensive philosophy, from precision attacks on selected targets, to attacks on area targets, equipped solely with Lancaster's. The plane was soon used in 'many' other squadrons and well established as a pivotal part of WW2 and it's successful outcome.

Many developments transcended and the final descendant of the Lancaster in service anywhere in the world was the 'ShackltonAEW.MK2, she is a beautiful plane, but not as much as a 'Hum dinger' as her predecessor 'The Lancaster MK1' …… well that is my view and I am sticking to it .

ok Lancs, the education has begun>>>>> you do the next bit and I shall follow you ..... anyone jump in with any Lancaster information, or sites. AND add anywhere you can get to see the Lancs worldwide (that bit is for me...thank you very much ).

well you've given (what is in places a very inaccurate) brief history of the type, i feel we should wait for people to come to us with questions, which we then answer..............

the lancaster kicks ass said:
well you've given (what is in places a very inaccurate) brief history of the type, i feel we should wait for people to come to us with questions, which we then answer..............

Oh good!! Inaccurate....so it is ( in places), well done Lancs>>>> just what I hoped you would say>>>> now go put it right (Im having a Da Vinci moment),
I have the Manual on my knee...so '.NO' mistakes now
( seems I like putting myself out there for men to shoot me down, so do your worsed Lancs).

Users who are viewing this thread