LANCASTER LM475POB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wad59

Airman
Jul 3, 2010
North of France
Hello,
Living in LEZENNES ( FRANCE ) ; I need some informations, pics, about LANCASTER LM475POB, shot down over LEZENNES MAI 10 1944, killing six of the 7 members crew, all buried in LEZENNES Cemetery .
Thanks for your help .
Gérard .

I found these web sites as a place to start.......

RAAFDB.COM - Avro Lancaster Mk. III*LM475
10 May 1944 | Something Very Big

I have also made a pdf and is a compilation from information I have found on 467 Squadron as this is the same squadron my GB18 Lancaster was with when EE143, PO*J, was lost on the Lile operations.

In looking for your Lancaster the serial number, LM475, is the most important as there were several PO*B's to replace one lost and the code was re-issued to the replacement aircraft.

I hope this helps.
Bill

Attachments

• Lanc LM475.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 96
I run the blog which Bill linked to here (somethingverybig.com) - it's about my research about the story of my great uncle - W/O RW Purcell, who was the navigator on LM475 PO-B. I've not yet found a photograph of the aircraft, though I am in contact with the families of each of the seven in the crew. I've got a lot of information about the crew and the Lille operation which I'd be happy to share if you would care to get in touch - [email protected].
Bill - before they got LM475 this crew flew EE143 as their regular aircraft. I have logbook entries and a post-war writeup from Phil Smith - pilot in LM475 - describing attempts to 'fix' EE143 shortly before the Lille raid because pilots were complaining it was flying 'sideways'. I can elaborate over email if you'd like.
Best wishes,
Adam Purcell
Melbourne

I'm not sure, but I might have some film footage on a DVD showing this Lanc. There's certainly a sequence showing the Squadron's aircraft, but I need to a) find which DVD it is, b) watch it (!) and c) try to fix a date.
I'll post here when/if I find anything.

Airframes,
There's a good chance the footage you have was taken as part of a film called The RAAF In Europe which was filmed at Waddington in March 1944. It's available at the Australian War Memorial (Film Film F01372).
Among other things they shot a mock briefing, a still of which (featuring at least four of the crew of LM475) is in this post, and the next day took film of the squadron taking off. The timing is right (the first flight in LM475 in the pilot's logbook was on March 3 and the film unit visited on March 6 and 7) but as far as I can see in the footage though there are a lot of PO squadron letters in it there's no clear PO-B.
Adam

Hi Adam, from what I remember, one clip at least caught my attention, as the code letters were repeated on the cowling. I think it was displayed thus 'PO-B', but I'll find the DVD in the next day or two and have a butcher's.
If it is the correct aircraft, then I need to figure out how to capture the frame and post it here!

Terry.

OK, found it, but it wasn't PO-B unfortunately, but PO-O.
Obviously the same footage as held at the AWM, it forms part of a BBC series titled 'War in the Air', this particular episode covering the RAF and USAAF bombing campaign.
I'll keep looking through my books and other sources - just in case!

No worries Terry, you never do know if anything's out there do you!!

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back