Last flight for the Canberra

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, the Temora Aviation Museum in Australia has a beautiful airworthy example.

Attachments

• temoracanberra.jpg
    temoracanberra.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 234
The world's most cost effective and availability effective Canberra users were No.5 Sqn Rhodesian Air Force. Aside from a re-designed "Dimple Haig" nose which adressed the problem of the originals cracking, the Rhodies found a replacement for the highly expensive - and unavailable - starter cartridges quoted above, which cost a fraction of the price.

What finally grounded the majority of Rhodesia's Canberras, which were among the first to be built, long before those operated by the SAAF, was metal fatigue.

yes there's already atleast one flying in civvy hands as there has been for a number of years, not cheap though each cartridge to start it is £100............

Has an old Aviation Heritage magazine found today with details of RAAF Canberras in Vietnam. when i get time will scan it and post photos and articule in forum ok

Here's some info on RAAF Canberra's in Vietnam.
2squad

Further magazine articule in Aviation Heritage. The journal of the Aviation Historical Society of Australia Inc vol 28 number 4 september 1997. Below is an articule published by this magazine. In articule it describes Canberra Bombers of RAAF in Vietnam 1970. Plus photos of Caribous and Hercules in Vung Tau Vietnam. thought some may find it interesting:)

Attachments

• RAAF Canberra Caribou Vietnam.JPG
    RAAF Canberra Caribou Vietnam.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 206
  • RAAF Canberra Hercules Vietnam.JPG
    RAAF Canberra Hercules Vietnam.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 212
  • RAAF Caribous Vietnam.JPG
    RAAF Caribous Vietnam.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 219
I lived on RAAF base Amberley in Queensland Australia for up to 3 and 1/2 yrs in late 1960s to early 1970s before our family was posted to Butterworth Malaysia. Saw many Canberras whilst at Amberley. There are 2 static displays about 5 miles from main gate of 2 Canberra Bombers in colours of 2 Squadron if my memory serves me well. Also for years at main gate static display was a De-Haviland Vampire on pedestal. not sure if Vampire is still there however been some time since i went out to RAAF Base Amberley. If any one is interested i also have an unusual photo of a Mirage from number 75 Squadron RAAF at Butterworth Malaysia. Taken just prior to Christmas Day 1972. I am sure you will find it amusing

Rare pic of an RhAF Canberra with national insignia - usually absent at this time.

Attachments

• Canberra_1972_March_Salisbury_Ap.jpg
    Canberra_1972_March_Salisbury_Ap.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 240
Is that a Canada roundel on the Canberra Bomber or is it for some other nationality? I know it isn't Australian. It looks like a four legged animal rather than the Kangaroo or anything like the RAAF roundel.

UDI-period Rhodesian. For info, the aircraft is camouflaged in wrap-around Dark Green/Dark Earth.

Attachments

• rhodesia_markings.jpg
    rhodesia_markings.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 242
Ok, thanks Ndicki. Might be good to have a section where people post about the different airforce roundels and things used, plus when they were used at some stage as an information thread...

My Grandad, who served in the RAAF from '43' to '66', worked on RAAF and RAF Canberra's for a number of years. He's got some great pics which I will try to get scanned. He really speaks highly of them and I reckon you could see a look of sadness when he heard they had finnaly been retired.

Hes got some really great storys to tell about them aswel, like the black smoke from the cartidge starters, and about one that was rigged up for remote control which he watched crash I think on landing. I cant remember all the details but I think it was out at Woomera.

There one here at the SA Aviation museum, but I havent got round to seeing it yet...

Below are some of the images I took during the PR9's last deployment to the Gulf this summer, 1 month later, 39(1 PRU) Squadron was gone and the aircraft sold. :evil:

Attachments

• opherrick200634.jpg
    opherrick200634.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 190
  • opherrick200637.jpg
    opherrick200637.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 178
  • opherrick200648.jpg
    opherrick200648.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back