List of Wooden WW2 aircraft (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Piper106

Airman 1st Class
Nov 20, 2008
Does anyone have a list of WW2 era combat aircraft of substantually all wood construction for the airframe ??

I am thinking of aircraft where wood provides the structural strength, not machines that used a steel tube frame covered with plywood.

The DeHaviland Mosquito and the later Hornet are the most obvious examples (and they overload search engine results).

I know about the Soviet LaGG-1 and LaGG-3 fighters, the Japanese Ki-106 'Wooden Hayate', and the Bell XP-77.

Just wondering about what others I have overlooked.

The De Haviland Vampire jet had a wooden fuselage.

Only the pod forward of the firewall was wood; the rest was metal on the Vampire, including the wings and load bearing structure. The Ho 229 had a welded steel tube cage in which the cockpit and engines were mounted and undercarriage attached to, although its wings were wooden.The Japanese built a wooden DC-3.

Practically, all the family of CANT, say 1007, 506 etc. were wooden made, SM79 had wooden wings.

Last edited:
Norab; the Waco CG-4A's fusealge was welded steel tube, although there were wooden panels. The exterior was covered in fabric. Miles Magister and Miles Master trainers. Miles Martinet target tug. Percival Proctor. The Fieseler Storch originally had wooden wing spars, but Morane Saulnier built theirs with metal ones.

The Curtis C-76 Caravan was an all-wood failure.The tail fell off the first one on its second flight. One of the engineers was watching the second one being completed, and said to the job boss, "Don't forget the bolts to hold the stabilizers on!" and got the reply, "What bolts? We didn't put bolts in the first one!" So just the glue on the plywood covering was all that held the tail on.......Wood construction was a fading art in the '40's.

Yugoslav indigenous fighter Rogožarski IK-3 had a fuselage made of steel tube frame covered with plywood and canvas, while wings were completely of wooden structure covered with plywood. The aircraft had liquid cooled engine, retractable landing gear and armament of two machine guns in the forward fuselage and one cannon firing through propeller shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back