List of Wooden WW2 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For you perusal after scarfing down a TBM for lunch/dinner... The forward fuselage steel framework and the left nacelle. I'm doing a little rearranging of the various storage areas, so these are over in a temporary one. Once I can get a few car maintenance projects out of the way, they will come to the house for getting handling dollies made. The forward steel and both nacelles should take up about the same space as full size pickup when the dollies are done. After the first of the year, we are going to be actively looking for new place to build a shop..... I need the room!

Attachments

• IMG_0419JPG.jpg
    IMG_0419JPG.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0418JPG.jpg
    IMG_0418JPG.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0416JPG.jpg
    IMG_0416JPG.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 40
  • rsz_img_0414.jpg
    rsz_img_0414.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 45
For you perusal after scarfing down a TBM for lunch/dinner... The forward fuselage steel framework and the left nacelle. I'm doing a little rearranging of the various storage areas, so these are over in a temporary one. Once I can get a few car maintenance projects out of the way, they will come to the house for getting handling dollies made. The forward steel and both nacelles should take up about the same space as full size pickup when the dollies are done. After the first of the year, we are going to be actively looking for new place to build a shop..... I need the room!

You have me confused - the only TBMs I know of are the Grumman/Eastern TBM Avenger and the French Socata light aircraft and your goodies look like neither.

The Heinkel He 162 had wooden wings. The main spar was of a material called TYBU which was a laminate of wood and Bakelite like plastic.

The fuselage was alloy because it was thought that the need to have openings such as cockpit, guns, 3 undercarriage legs plus the jet engine would be too complicated for wood alone in the time available.

The aircraft had problems with the disintegration of some of its wooden flight surfaces which lead to the death of several Luftwaffe and at least one RAF pilot at air shows. (they did not have time to eject). This disintegration was in the tail and caused by the substitution of a PVA type glue as opposed to a heat cured TEGO film laminate. I believe the tail should also have been all metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back