Lockheed XP-73 Sqwordstar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
This one was kind of a new one on me recently and I thought the forum might be interested.

After the XP-58 Chain Lightning was turned down by the USAF, Lockheed took the half-assembled second prototype and reworked all the elements to turn it into a single fuselage design for a fast piston interceptor, the Model 39 Swordstar (a mix of "Swordfish", as in the XP-38E test-bed and the usual "star" suffix used by Lockheed). Though unsollicited, the proposal was judged interesting enough for the USAAF to borrow the aircraft from Lockheed and give it the XP-73 designation (serial 43-45315).

However, the Swordstar was sadly lost after only three hours of test flying in mid-air collision with a Culver PQ-8 Dart target drone gone wild, killing test pilot Shane Bolt. The embarrassment was such that the Air Force agreed on a refund of the prototype and all of Lockheed's expenses on condition that the XP-73 be erased from the records, which was done on both sides. It would have remained a lost chapter of aviation history were it not for a set of documents hidden away by one of the project's engineers that resurfaced recently after his passing. Only this one very rare photograph of it has survived to this day.

View attachment 226020

Kinda looks like half of a P-38. :twisted:

Capture.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Wow!!!! That is some very neat information and a great looking Lockheed! It lived such a short life, was there any performance charts or indications of what it may have been capable of doing?

Not that I could find. It was made from pieces of the XP-58 Chain Lightning, ao I assume the engine is an Allison V-3420 but ... that is just an assuumption on my part; I don't really know.

Wuzak, perhaps you didn't read the post. They removed it from the records until recently ...

I FOUND this and thought it would be interesting, I don't claim to know anything about the aircraft or even if it was real.

Hi Flyboyj, yah ... I saw that, too. But since it was supposed to have been made FROM the Chain Lightning, the resemblence makes sense ... if it can be believed. No reason why it wouldn't work, I simply wonder that the aircraft occurred to anyone.

Maybe it didn't and this is another "internet fact" that needs looking into.

Last edited:
Well, THAT sure helps, Wuzak! Glad it wasn't something that "got by" and we all missed it.

Ah well, the email I got didn't include that part of the text ... At least it's good to know they really didn't waste the time to try it.

Thanks, Wuzak.

I suppose if its too stupid to be true, it isn't!

He picked a good tail number though, 43-45315 was from a canceled contract. I looked it up thinking he had shopped the tail from a C-119 which looks very similar, but that's not quite it. I wonder what aircraft it came from.

Hmmmmmm..........

xp-58_2.jpg

Looks like you have the source picture all right. Top is a crop of a larger version of your pic of the XP-58 and the bottom is a crop and enlargement of his. Same guy in the back seat :lol:

Attachments

• XP73-.jpg
    XP73-.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 160
  • XP-58A Chain Lightning 41-2670 1-.jpg
    XP-58A Chain Lightning 41-2670 1-.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 179
The third guy is from the tail cone of the XP-58 which was used to make up the rear portion of the canopy

Here's one I through together using paint during my lunch hour. The mountainous background makes it kinda tough.

Attachments

• p-38-lightning-2.jpg
    p-38-lightning-2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,261
  • p-38-lightning-1.jpg
    p-38-lightning-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 218

Users who are viewing this thread

Back