Let's talk about the Lockheed C-69

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NTGray

Airman 1st Class
Nov 22, 2019
When people talk about WW2 aviation, the discussion generally tends to go to fighters and bombers, because combat planes are exciting to describe, and the numbers they generated (specifications and statistics) are fun to talk (or argue) about.

But WW2 aviation includes transports and cargo planes, too, and the best-looking airplane ever to fly served its country in C-69 form, along with later variants. It wasn't as ubiquitous as the C-47. . .not by a long shot. . .but it did serve, so it counts as WW2 aviation, even though it continued to serve long after the Greatest War was over. (The last Constellation in American military service seems to have been an EC-121 that was retired in 1976.)

So what do y'all think of the Connie (C-69), and the Super Connie (C/RC/EC-121)?

C-69.jpg

EC-121.jpg

Last edited:
C-121s still around in 1978 and presumably after that?
I assume that civilian versions were flying for quite a while after that in America and elsewhere, but 1976 seems to be the last date for an American military version.

It is, by far, the most sexy powerfull liner ever.
You can put humps on her, shady paint jobs and still it like Miss Monroe.
Love at first sight and everytime, everytime you see her. Just geourgeous.

I assume that civilian versions were flying for quite a while after that in America and elsewhere, but 1976 seems to be the last date for an American military version.
Nope: still flying into Mildenhall in 1978. Hence my comment. Not sure when they retired after that.

Nope: still flying into Mildenhall in 1978. Hence my comment. Not sure when they retired after that.
Always appreciate getting better information. Is that documented, or your personal observation?

The one I saw at Mildenhall in 1978 belonged to the 915th AEW Group, Homestead AFB, FL. It was still active until retired in September 1978. I assume there aircraft in service after that. (EC-121T 54-2307)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/3295324494

Last EC-121T (53-0548) to MASDC on 16 October 1978. I'm not sure if there were others after that.

We have two of them at Chino. One is a former Planes of Fame VC-121A and was MacArthur's personal transport, being restored to flight by Fighter Rebuilders. It now belongs to private party who intends to fly it. It recently did first engine runnup and is not long for Chino. It will soon fly out to get a VIP interior added.

The other one is an EC-121 Warning Star with the lower radome and it still has most of the consoles. Yanks Air Museum owns it and they flew it in from Camarillo, CA, but have no current plans to make it frequently flyable. Could be restored, but a Constellation is a very major undertaking, even for a crew of 8 - 10 people. I know aluminum wizards who have been working on the VC-121A for more than 5 years, and these guys are GOOD with aluminum. It's just that this is a BIG airplane. Every time you remove a panel, you find out that what is under it needs to be replaced!

They are both impressive machines. I look forward to seeing at least the VC-121A fly when it leaves Chino.

Soon! You might enjoy below.

View: https://youtu.be/nhgU7XmyNko

I got to see the EC-121 when it was in Camarillo on my last trip to CA. They had the cowlings off and it was interesting to see the power recovery turbines,

A friend of mine crewed EC-121's out of McDill AFB in the 60's. They would fly back and forth off the West coast of Cuba at low altitudes, two engines shut down to extend their time in the air, looking for traffic between Cuba and Central America.

The Connie shows a unique Lockheed characteristic that I have long wondered about. See how the horizontal stabilizer extends out past the twin fin/rudder? They did that on the Electra, Hudson, PV-1 Ventura, P-38, Connie, etc. Looks like to me it would be harder to manufacture, harder to attach the fin, harder to arrange the rudder, and have more drag. The B-24, B-25, Ercoupe, Beech 18, and A-10 did not do it that way.

When I was studying Fire Science at Oxnard College, the classes were held at Camarillo Airport. I'd see it four nights a week. It was in bad shape at that time, though (93-94).

The Connie shows a unique Lockheed characteristic that I have long wondered about. See how the horizontal stabilizer extends out past the twin fin/rudder? They did that on the Electra, Hudson, PV-1 Ventura, P-38, Connie, etc. Looks like to me it would be harder to manufacture, harder to attach the fin, harder to arrange the rudder, and have more drag. The B-24, B-25, Ercoupe, Beech 18, and A-10 did not do it that way.

The Lockheeds were always fast for the installed power.

The Connie shows a unique Lockheed characteristic that I have long wondered about. See how the horizontal stabilizer extends out past the twin fin/rudder? They did that on the Electra, Hudson, PV-1 Ventura, P-38, Connie, etc. Looks like to me it would be harder to manufacture, harder to attach the fin, harder to arrange the rudder, and have more drag.
More frontal area does not necessarily equal more drag; think 'tire' versus the larger (and less draggy) fairings that often enclose them on aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back