Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Buy or not to?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flegmatica

Airman
Jan 18, 2009
Hi there all aviators!

I have been like total flying nut over a 3 years, but all this time i have been flying with gamepad's analogs. Well i have always wanted to buy X52 PRO but i have always wasted the money (things i really needed: clothes, guitar strings etc.) on something else when the chance would open again. Now i just cant wait and tought what the hell, i buy "temporary joystick" now and sometime later i get X52 PRO. I have seen this logitech joystick standing on a shelf of stores. Is this worth it? I have only heard bad reviews from this, some say its lifetime is 2-9 months. So please, who own this joystick, write all you can say about this joystick :).

Thanks!

-Fleg

i have one from thrustmasters, i have it for 3-4 years now and now its getting worn out and stuff.
for a temp u could take it if the price is right offcourse

I had one, was broken within a year.

Same here. Broken within 6 months, the rudder axis started jumping around randomly.

Now I have Saitek Cyborg Evo. It's okay for the small price.

Well this "temporary joystick" could last for year anyway. So im still searching for something what "lasts" and acts good.

Hi Flegmatica,

>I have seen this logitech joystick standing on a shelf of stores. Is this worth it? I have only heard bad reviews from this, some say its lifetime is 2-9 months. So please, who own this joystick, write all you can say about this joystick :).

I bought one for use with X-Plane 9.22 under Windows, and it's not up to the job.

The pitch resolution is at best 128 steps, which is not enough to control straight and level flight at high speed in X-Plane.

(Different diagnosis programs yield different resolutions, so don't take 128 steps as the final word. I'm quite positive that it's impossible to maintain straight and level flight tough - for some aircraft types, it's either -1 G or +4 G, nothing in between.)

Previously I had an analogue CH F-16 Fighter Stick which was very smooth until the potentiometers wore out after 5 years of heavy use, and control in X-Plane was not a problem at any speed.

I would not again buy a Logitech Force 3D Pro for flying. It seems to be OK for arcade games though.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

I used to run the Gravis 'sticks years ago, but they've been discontinued long since :(

I have had great success with Saitek and currently have the Evo and X52 system.

The Evo has held up well, and lasted longer than the Cyborg Gold (trigger broke), and I use it for MechWarrior3.

The X52 system is just beyond cool and I have the presets matching all of my combat sims (AW, CFS2/3, Janes WW2 Fighters, IL-2 original, IL-2 FB + Aces/PF 1946)...

I haven't seen a system that can compare to the X52!

For a low-priced, decent-quality stick the Saitek Aviator is probably the best. I can't stress enough my advice to STAY AWAY FROM LOGITECH joysticks. Their mice and keyboards are top notch, but their sticks are the worst of the worst.

I use CH exclusively and recommend them beyond anything else, but a CH stick+rudder pedals (pedals are needed as the sticks don't have a rudder twist axis) is more than an X52 Pro so, I'd say go with the Aviator.

I've never used the Evo Force, but from the satisfaction I've had with Saitek products, I'd say that you would most likely be happy with your purchase.

The Saitek 'sticks are solid and last a long time. My Evo (non-force feedback) has been extremely reliable.

I agree with Thunderbolt, Logitech makes top-notch keyboards (I have the G15 gaming keyboard), but thier joysticks don't last very long.

My Saitek AV8R-01 was just a temporay stick. A year down the road and still using it daily. It is tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back