Lone Star Flight Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Man, I'm so glad they got those out of the way. I'm going to make a call down there tomorrow and see what I can find out. Hopefully they are open. Thanks for the link Old Wizard.

Thanks Old Wizard. Glad to see there main show pieces got out but from reading that it sounds like the museum took a pounding.

This was posted on their website today.

September 16, 2008 10:30 a.m. - Galveston, Texas

The response from our friends and supporters from all over the world has been gratifying. We thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

The damage to the museum is extensive. We anticipate that photos of the damage will be posted later today or tomorrow.

There have been numerous inquiries about specific airplanes, TAHF exhibits and when operations will resume. The preliminary assessment is in progress. The status of airplanes, exhibits, repairs and what our needs will be are being discussed. It is just too early to know when the museum will reopen since we don't know what is needed. One thing we do know is that it is going to take many hours of work in the coming weeks and a lot of financial support to get the doors open. We will be adding a special donations button within the next 24 hours.

Thank you for support. Check back often for additional information.

Hi guys, Galveston is a mess. Right now the state is not allowing anyone on the island period. Those that did not leave before the storm are allowed to leave but they cannot return. The government has stopped supply runs to the island in order to force the remaining people to leave. The island had storm surges from 18 to 22 feet high. Everything was underwater at one point. The island started flooding 12 hours before the storm hit. I heard on the radio to the area around the airfield was hit hard. I do not think that the seawall goes that far down the beach.

DBII

You know, looking at the pics, it looks like more of a mess than damage done. It looks like most of the damage was done to banners, pictures, display cases and whatever was stored in those.

The state is not allowing anyone on the island at this time. They tried to allow people yesterday and after 5 1/2 hrs they closed the causeway. The freeway was backed up for 15 miles. The City of Galveston was allowing home owners to inspect their properties and then leave after a give time. No one was leaving and it was chaos. The relief columns and power crews could not make it in. I am trying to find pictures of the Museum to post.

http://www.lsfm.org/

DBII

I can't imagine that, much as we love it, the LSFM is gonna be very high on the recovery priority list. Get the people taken care of first....much as I hate to say this, but the planes can be replaced/written off. I wouldn't expect to see much recovery effort at the Museum for a few weeks, at the earliest.

Your right, Rabid. It's very sad about the museum, but the people must come first, especially the children.
I hope that it all turns out well in the end, on both fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back