Lt. Jocko, the dog he wrote home about

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
If you like dogs just like me. You will appreciate this story. Mans best friend!

Lt. Jocko | jocko, tommy, time - Life - The Orange County Register

By MICHELLE CAHILL / FOR THE REGISTER

During World War II, Jocko the dog went on bombing missions with my uncle, U.S. Army Air Corp Lt. Tommy Cahill.

Tommy was a Bombardier-Navigator on a B-25 based on Corsica in the Mediterranean Sea.
Article Tab: Lt. Tommy Cahill, a navigator, flew over 60 bombing missions during World War II. He died at 23 in 1945 when his B-25 bomber flying from France was shot down over Italy.
Lt. Tommy Cahill, a navigator, flew over 60 bombing missions during World War II. He died at 23 in 1945 when his B-25 bomber flying from France was shot down over Italy.

Tommy wrote often to his mother, Mary Cahill who lived in Los Angeles. His letters, and those of his brother Jack, are a treasure trove for our family. Only discovered in January of this year, the letters filled in many missing pieces. Tommy and Jack are finally "real" to my generation.

Jocko belonged to a buddy of Tommy's and when the buddy went on leave, Tommy would care for him. Tommy was a gifted writer, in both style and content. Jocko had a recurring role in his letters.

(click on the link for some more)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back