Luftwaffe Aircraft Camouflage and Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• emblem1.jpg
    emblem1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • emblem2.jpg
    emblem2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,149
  • emblem3.jpg
    emblem3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,151
I hope someone can help me. I think I may have painted my Bf-110 wrong, I painted it the colors in the picture I posted earlier, the beige and browns. Should they really be the blue and grays? RLM 74/75 and 76? Someone said that these color photos are deceiving. Just want to do it right. Thanks

Sadly the someone was right.The correct colours should have been RLM74/75/76, the band on fuselage was of yellow.The pic is a proof that there are not too many of coloured pictures of ww2 really.

These are the two I've done. The beige and brown was my mistake in the color scheme. I would appreciate any information on doing it better if you find something. I am just learning to use Photoshop. Thanks for all your help. I know the original was a earlier Bf-110, but this G-2 was the only one that you could fly in the game.

Bf-110-Blue1.jpg

Bf-110-Blue3.jpg

Bf-110-Blue2.jpg

Buhlimapal1.jpg

Buhlimapal2.jpg

Picking up on the notion posted earlier about why so many Luftwaffe colour schemes it is worth noting thta the schemes were based on the roles and posture of the various Stafflen. Firstly it is correct to note that certain types of aircraft based on role had specific colours. However the variety of fighter schemes was affected by a number of conditions.

At the start of the War the Luftwaffe were in the ascendancy and as such they had a very high demarcation line along the side of the fuselage between the upper and lower colour. This aided in concealment in the air but ot the ground, however as the war progressed and Luftwaffe airfields became targets ground camouflage became more important and so the demarcation line was lowered and more shades or green were used instead of the Greys.

Similarly those aircraft based in the east during the winter months would have their European camouflage over sprayed with an enormous variety of styles of white paint, squiggles, blotches stripes etc but mostly painted by the ground crew.

Aircraft based in the Mediterreanean were normally painted in the desert scheme but again in the early days stocks of RLM paint were in short supply and in many cases stocks of Italian paint were used which had a very slightly different colour.

The whole process became much more confusing during the last days as stocks of paint were used up and not replaced, some aircraft entering battle still in their factory finish indeed there are plenty of examples of Me 262's flying unpainted at all. There were battlefield repairs using parts from other aircraft which also gave some very interesting looks.

Bottom ine is that Luftwaffe camouflage schemes have a variety of shades styles and colours - good luck in decyphering them.

Paul

This is my first post on this site, which I stumbled across during a search. It seemed to have a knowledgable group of people among the membership. Here's my delimma:
I have a magazine build project coming up, and it involves an expensive 1/32 resin kit of an He 51. It is a beautiful kit of a (IMO) beautiful aircraft, and I want it to be done correctly. My problem is with the color, of course. I have chosen a scheme that involves an overall light gray color, with the pre-war red band with swastika on the vertical stab and rudder. From the windscreen forward the a/c is Bavarian blue, which is fairly close to our True Blue of the period (which became FS15102 I believe).
It's the gray I have trouble with. The painting guide recommends RLM 63 for both the interior and exterior gray. I have tried to get a handle on this color and it's akin, as the saying goes, to nailing Jell-O to a wall. Some sources say RLM 63 was probably very near RLM 02, the early interior color we all know. Other sources make it a darker gray-green. And the renderings I've seen of non-camouflaged He 51s appear to be a sort of light neutral gray, neither blue nor green in cast.
Can anyone give me some advice both on the cockpit color and the exterior gray? I believe that exterior is closer to our modern Light Ghost Gray, but I could be way off. And I'm guessing that this a/c, circa 1938, is RLM 02 inside.
Thanks for your consideration and for allowing me onto your forum.
TOM

According to Urban's Reference Chart on IPMS Stockholm site the RLM 02 was of a few tonalities : FS34159, FS36165, FS24226. My source says FS36165.And I believe it is its correct basic tonality.

For the RLM63 Hellgrau the Urban's Reference Chart shows FS36375, FS36373 and FS36314. My source says FS36559.And I believe it was the tonality of the paint I mean a light grey colour with a hint of green.

Here you are all samples of these colours.

Attachments

• FS36165.jpg
    FS36165.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 984
  • FS24226.jpg
    FS24226.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • FS34159.jpg
    FS34159.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 948
  • FS36314.jpg
    FS36314.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 954
  • FS36373.jpg
    FS36373.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 947
  • FS36375.jpg
    FS36375.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 943
  • FS36559.jpg
    FS36559.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 987
My guess is closer to FS 36375, but that may be wishful thinking (because it goes so well with the blue and red) rather than steely eyed, historical objectivity. I still wonder if I'm right about the cockpit. I'm pretty sure, since aircraft in the Condor Legion tended to have RLM 02 cockpits, that my He 51 would as well. Any comments on that?
And thanks so much for your help! I didn't expect it so soon, if at all. I think I might roost here and get comfortable.
TOM
PS: And I should have remembered: When in doubt, always fall back on dear old Urban.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back