Luftwaffe Aircraft Camouflage and Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all,

RLM 83 was NOT a green but was a Dunkelblau (Dark blue) used only during 1944 in the Mediterranean aera. It was to be used with maritime colors such as RLM 72 or 73.
The green 83 was a convenient reference created by historians who discovered a variation of... RLM 82.
RLM 99 included all colors of varnishes, putties, etc. and ran from dark red to greenish yellow or very light greys. In the above list, yellow green is only for varnishes protecting metal sheets against corrosion.

Theater markings - How many disstict theaters did the Luftwaffe account for? Did the Balkans use yellow Russian front markings? Were the regulations enforced? From what I know, Eastern Front identification markings were yellow under wingtips, under cowling and sometimes on tail or tail band. Was there an order?

Attachments

• 102_5078.JPG
    102_5078.JPG
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
H. I have seen that in this post you have a really deep knowledge. I'm building my first Junkers, Ju88A-4, and I would like to represent the one that was lost in the Sea, near Minorc, in the Mediterranean, which we have been diving.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/175493

I'm trying to find everything that could make it seems realistic. I know it was based in Sicily and it was lost January 1943.
Owner/operator:5./KG 30 Luftwaffe
MSN:4D+MN

I guess it carried the white band for the Mediterranean theatre and the colour combination could be 79/78 or 79/80/78, but not sure about which one and which pattern for the camo. Also, any help will be really acknowledged about emblems, signs,...

Thank you so much in advanced.

PS: from my "research " I guess the "M" should be painted in white.

Last edited:
If the camo for the kite was of the 79/78 or 79/80/78 there wasn't any pattern for it. Just the RLM 79 Sand was on tops and sides and the RLM 78 Light Blue on undersides. If there was the RLM 80 used as well it means that there were applied spots or squigles of irregular shape and randome layout. Of the white was the band on the fuselage and possible the wing tips on the undersides. However the camouflage pattern was used for the North Africa rather while the one the Ju-88s based on the Sicily was the standard one used for the ETO. I mean the RLM70/71/65. So a picture of the prticular Ju-88 would be helpful.

The desert camouflage could looked like that ...

ju88-colour-pic-jpg.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Thank you so much. So... then, you think that it would have the standard pattern? I was guessing the African camo, because we know that the kite was bombing Argel, but for sure it came from Sicily.

Actually it is quite difficult to state of which camouflage the Ju-88s could be. Not all of them wore the one used in the North Africa. Generally it can be stated that if a plane served in the NA it could be of the destert camo. But it is not the rule. Mostly planes came to the Sicily for the Northern Europe still retaining the green pattern.

ju88 kg30.jpg

the source: the net.

Yes, I understand. Thank you so much. And I guess that even the theatre band could not be present, due to the KG30 was really moving around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back