Luftwaffe Aircraft Camouflage and Markings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Red B has been id'd as 9K+BK in some places. The would make sense for the red. If it's really 9K+BL then my yellow C theory is out the window.

Reaching my level of competence here so I need to be careful of what I say. Is Jon Olson not a member here any more? He'd be the authority on this.

Andy .. you wasn't able to find him on the list because his nick is JonOlsen. Just you have misspelled. He is still on the user list and logged here on the 9th April 2019.

Hello all. The color scheme pictured in these scale model instructions looks most similar to this image from the thread. I would like to know if the camo pattern pictured in the scale model instructions is historically accurate?
Me262A-2a (1).jpg
20190610_132026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you elaborate on 9k+yh, I'm unsure what you mean. Also, is the shape of the dark green "snake" looking camo historically accurate? could you also direct me to a database for all the B, X, Y, etc. Markings? I appreciate all your knowledge

There's no "database" of the marking that I'm aware of. I'm going by known examples that have been covered by photos. What I mean by 9K+YH is that this would be the full marking string for this aircraft. 9K designates I/KG51 and H the 1st Staffel (squadron). The White Y is the individual aircraft identifier. 262's of this unit typical had the 9K and the H featured in small black lettering with large prominent individual aircraft letters. Look closely at your profile of white B and you'll see the tiny letters with the 9K in front of the cross and the H behind the large B.

White Y of I/KG51 is reasonably well documented by photos. Here are some:

9K%20YH_7617aaa.JPG
9K%20YH_7619aaa.JPG
9K%20YH_7621aaa.JPG
Me262_White_Y.jpg

The obvious differences between the pics and the profile in the instructions are that the actual "Y" has a curl on the bottom, much like a "J" and the camouflage is more of a wave pattern rather than the long snakes. This particular 262, according to David E. Brown, left the factory in a 74/75/76 scheme that was heavily overpainted in the field with tight waves of RLM 81. If you look really close at the second pic by zooming in, the 9K can be seen but the instruction profile doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Always best to find actual pics. If you are following my Storch build its evident Tamiya got the scheme very wrong in the instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back