;) Luftwaffe propeller identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes,in fact anything with a DB 605 AS or D series engine.

That is a remarkable find.I'm no aviation archeologist but that doesn't look to have come from a crash site. Is there any other information as to its origin.

Steve

Thank you all,
I dont know exactly where the plane crashed because I bought it from a guy who bought it himself from an other guy...

Best Regards.

You did well!

Btw, the VDM 9-12159A was indeed the prop specified for the DB 605AS/ D engines as Steve said, designed for high altitude bomber interception work (Specific types as mentioned earlier).

I keep looking at those other stampings too, and I have a hunch this may have ben produced outside of Germany (maybe in France?)
Will try to follow up that K54 stamp, it may the code for the place of manufacture. Be great if one of the BuF nos matches somewhere to identify the exact type of Messy she was in too!

Don't forget these were fitted to the G-5s converted to AS standard and G-6/AS too. Memory (always risky) tells me that there were about 700 G-6/AS manufactured.

VDM = Vereinigte Deutsche Metallwerke who were based at Frankfurt (Main)-Heddernheim. I've no idea where VDM propellers may have been manufactured.

That blade is remarkably undamaged for a part from a crash,in the sense of an aircraft shot down.

Cheers

Steve

True - was indeed fitted to G-5/AS and -6/AS aircraft aswell, first post amended!

While there were the main production bases, bombing forced production out to untold underground and foreign locations, so will see if my hunch comes to anything.
Props for Argus engined aircraft were produced in Czechoslovakia for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back