Luftwaffe rocket plane into 'production'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin1

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 2, 2009
United Kingdom
by Eric Janssonne
Flypast April 2010

A team of enthusiasts in Speyer, Germany has begun to recreate a Bachem Ba349 Natter vertically-launched rocket fighter. Originally envisaged by the Third Reich as a last-ditch wonder weapon combining inexpensive wooden construction with an advanced powerplant, the Natter never made it past the testing stage.

The team researched what little documentation there was available and some 300 construction drawings were created on computer before work on the plywood airframe began. Instrumentation for the replica will be based on that used in the Messerschmitt Me163 Komet, as this used the same Walther HWK 109-509 rocket engine.

The Natter will, in theory at least, be flyable and if enough customers can be found, the team hope to build up to ten examples.

Last edited:
Who on Earth would want to be the first to test fly that!! Would have to be an entry for the Darwin Awards I think.....

... well ... you know how some people like to have their ashes loaded into a rocket and then bang ! all over the sky ?

Well, its the same here, only you put the dead body in whole and then fire off the Natter

(I really need to see a shrink by the way)

Last edited:
by Eric Janssonne
Flypast April 2010

A team of enthusiasts in Speyer, Germany has begun to recreate a Bachem Ba349 Natter vertically-launched rocket fighter. Originally envisaged by the Third Reich as a last-ditch wonder weapon combining inexpensive wooden construction with an advanced powerplant, the Natter never made it past the testing stage.

The team researched what little documentation there was available and some 300 construction drawings were created on computer before work on the plywood airframe began. Instrumentation for the replica will be based on that used in the Messerschmitt Me163 Komet, as this used the same Walther HWK 109-509 rocket engine.

The Natter will, in theory at least, be flyable and if enough customers can be found, the team hope to build up to ten examples.

2 Questions spring to mind :-

1. Would it not be better to build the Komet - it seemed to have a better track record.

As I remember the Natter had a way of just crashing, really, to be honest.

2. Will this Natter have one of those 'Potato Masher' noses with a bevvy of rockets ?

Would it not be better to build the Komet - it seemed to have a better track record...

There already is a flying replica of Me 163 Komet, although it flies as a glider only and has no rocket engine installed. I guess they've chosen to build Natter replica now because it's a rare bird. Don't know how realistic is the plan to make it flyable though...

Me-163_2007-09-WTD61_0291_800.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the Me262 and the Komet, as they both had good track records flight-wise (excluding volatile issues with the Komet's engine), but why not other proven but rare machines like the KI-201 or the He280...even the Feisler (as VB mentioned) would be a better choice (and safer) to build than the Viper.

If they are going to fly it aren't they going to have to make the wings big enough to support it without the ooomph of a rocket behind it (making it not actually a replica), or are they just going to commit suicide? Something sounds not right.

I think they're only suggesting that technically, you could fly it if you wanted to

If you wanted to... :shock:

It would be an astoundingly underwhelming addition to the air show circuit as an airworthy concern. I can't see them getting a licence to use rockets anyway as the potential for something going wrong and the vehicle lurching into the crowd is enormous. It would need to be launched at distances from the public more fitting for Cape Canaveral. The return to earth could be just as tricky with the vehicle breaking up into its descent sections - what odds a red-hot powerplant falling on the crowd?

Even if you could get close enough, there'd be nothing to see; it's not like it's going to fly up and down the strip a couple of times.

If it starts turning up at air shows, it would very likely be static display on its launch rails.

Last edited:
If they are going to fly it aren't they going to have to make the wings big enough to support it without the ooomph of a rocket behind it (making it not actually a replica), or are they just going to commit suicide? Something sounds not right.

I agree - Start with say 1/4 replica

Actually I bet Estes or someone already makes a replica out of foam or similar

cool non-flying natter replica w/o nose cone at Fantasy of Flight in Florida:

I like how the side rocket motors are angled out

96310.jpg

96311.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back