Lysander?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

3FNBYLMJYBEV5I2CJCQ2P6534Y.jpg

cosford-shropshire-uk-june-10-260nw-2100780895.jpg

The Lysander canopy was clear throughout, and this is not unless it was painted.

This a Lysander II with No.6 Squadron in the Middle East - which was lost at the end of 1941.
In this machine it would appear the glazing is separated by a non-glazed area.
If it were a poll, my vote would definitely be a Lysander....

Scan1039.jpg

(Air International - 1984)

Definitely a Lysander. I suspect the glazing was covered over as in the picture posted by Graeme, but I couldn't say why. Maybe to reduce heat in the cockpit since it was in the desert? In special ops Lysanders there was an aux fuel tank placed in that position, in fact you can clearly see it in the pictures posted by Shortround below:

These are one and the same aircraft, the RAF Museum's Lysander III R9125, at top, the RAFM conservation workshop at Cosford and below at RIAT Fairford. The aircraft is undergoing a long term restoration. It has fittings aboard it as the special ops Lysanders did, extra tankage, drop tank carrying capability and bench seating in the rear cockpit.

As you can see, the Lysander's fuselage was fabric covered with removable panels over a tubular structure, the dark bits in the original photo are those removable panels, the rear fuselage panel coming to a point. The top of the rear fuselage does look odd and as if there's no fabric over it in the photo, it's because the rear canopy slid backwards, the rail being visible in the top photo above.

I'm agreeing with the idea of removed fabric instead of a hulk laid on it's side. Good info gents. Cockpit heat definitely would have been an issue with all that glass but I've not come across any other pics showing the blocking suggested in the original pic.

Guys, we're looking at an aircraft that clearly has been damaged, probably with parts robbed for use on other aircraft. The canopy could be blackened due to smoke, and there are clearly portions of the fuselage structure missing as shown by the large chunk missing along the bottom line of the canopy.

If it's not a Lysander, we have to come up with ideas for what other aircraft it might be...and nothing looks like that. The back-end is 100% Lysander and any other differences can be explained by damage. If it waddles, has webbed feet and quacks, then it's almost certainly a duck...or, in this case, a Lizzie.

That's what I said in post #3. Let's take it a step further. If this is a bone yard, then maybe its a Lysander tail section, an XXXX center section, and a YYYY engine/cowl in front of a ZZZZZ nacelle on its side.

Perhaps the OP can give us a source for the picture (he should have done that anyway) with any known details.
I tend to agree - tIt seems that there is another wreck lying on its side in front of the Lysander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back