M.I.5/M.I.6/SAS (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its very hard to qauntify which force is better because 99% of there work is unknown . My money would be on The Regiment but as they hate any publicity It can only be speculation. I have known one guy who was a member in the 80's but what info he imparted was very limited. The Iranian Embassy Siege, those silly books and TV programs etc, did the one thing they hate (bring them to the attention of the public).

102first_hussars said:
The Biggest is that the primary means of deployment is by Parachuting (Bailing out) of either a Herc or a Griffon, the difference JTF-2 has between other special forces is we can operate in Platoons and still maintain a low profile and wth the Initiative, and you said we are mainly Anti-terrorist, not necessarly, we did target designations for the CF-18's in Kosovo, We also trained Himalayin Soldiers to fight communist rebels.

Sounds to me your more like the Green Beret Special Forces. Do you think that JTF-2 is the only group that jumps out of planes when they deploy and has a low profile.

Lets see the SEALs either come in on a submarine or they HALO Jump (Yes that is jumping out of planes), and they are in small teams so that sounds like a really low profile to me.

The Green Berets lets see they jump out of Hercs pretty much on all of there deployments and in small teams also, so as to keep a low profile. Also they do the exact same things that JTF-2 does. They do anti terrorism, they do anti insurgency, they do spotting for Airforce Jets, and they train army's from other countries. They helped "advice" the South Vietmanese army in Vietnam, and they are currently training soldiers in Africa and South America.

102first_hussars said:
I dont even think the Navy has one, the whole crew is qualified to do ship boardings etc, right?- oh you realise I have to kill you now, since Ive told you too much? ;)
Well since about 99 per cent of what you've just said is available on the DND site, you'd have to kill everyone who ever browsed the JTF 2 section.

Not everyone on a ship is trained for boardings. I myself was on the boarding parties of two ships. It is specialty training, but naval boarding parties are hardly Special Forces. Christ, I wouldn't last 30 seconds on the JTF course. I doubt I'd even last 30 seconds into the screening process. :rolleyes:

And JTF means Joint Task Force, i.e. tri-service in this case. They draw personnel from all three services, not just the Army. I personally know of a few Navy clearance divers who went for it, along with one or two others, and I believe (although I'm not entirely certain) that some of them made it in. I'd imagine the best Air Force types for the training selection would be SAR Techs, but I wouldn't know. ;)

Adler said
Sounds to me your more like the Green Beret Special Forces. Do you think that JTF-2 is the only group that jumps out of planes when they deploy and has a low profile.

That wasnt the point, I was explaining how they follow closely with our old airbourne Regiment, thats all.

Sure, but the regiments still have jump companies even though the Airborne Regiment is no more. We still have paratroops, just no more Airborne Regiment.

Thank you Mister Chrétien. :rolleyes:

102first_hussars said:
I dont even think the Navy has one, the whole crew is qualified to do ship boardings etc, right?- oh you realise I have to kill you now, since Ive told you too much? ;)

What is your point. Every ship in the US Navy has ship boarding teams that not special forces units. My buddy is a commo guy in the US Navy on a Destroyer and he is on the boarding team and recieved training for it. It is not really that big of a deal to be ship boarding qualified.

You can't compare the special forces of the world today for the sole reason that the best learn from each other. The British forces and US forces both give each other suggestions, I know of quite a few circumstances where the SAS have taught the Delta Force a few minor things to help them in the field. One thing was how to pack their medical kits. Simple but helpful.

Plus, as les said, they're all highly trained. It then comes down to personal combat experience that makes the individual more elite as time goes on. The training never ends in the military, especially not in the special forces.

And the SAS never had time to mess around - they've been on counter-insurgency duty since they were formed in 1942, well almost. Most of it being down in South-East Asia, or Northern Ireland, and now Iraq. Although they did some in the Mid-East in 1950s and 60s. As well as all that we never get to hear about.

And NS put it, the MI5 are home intelligence, the MI6 are foreign intelligence...the SAS do intelligence work ...but that's combat intelligence.

I agree they are all highly trained and well put together units. I would go as far as saying though that the Israeli (not sure what they call themselves) Special Forces, the SAS, Navy Seals and GSG9 are the best of the best in the world.

Hey now.....

The Israeli Special forces are divided into Sayerets, with Sayeret Matkal being the definitve unit, the SEALs and SAS operators of Israel so to speak...

From Wikipedia:
Sayeret Matkal (Hebrew: סיירת מטכ"ל - General Staff Reconnaissance unit) is the elite special forces unit of the Israeli Defence Force. It was established in 1957 as Unit 269 by veterans of the Paratroopers Brigade, Unit 101 and the IDF's Intelligence Branch (Aman). Its main roles are counter terror, deep reconnaissance and intelligence gathering. The unit is modelled on the British SAS, and organizationally reports to Aman. Its nickname in the IDF is simply "The Unit". The unit's motto is "Who dares - Wins" (same as the SAS motto).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back