M.I.5/M.I.6/SAS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
Greetings ladies and gentlemen.

I'm lost with British Intelligence. Can someone help ? What's the difference between the M.I.5, the M.I.6 and the SAS ?

I know the M.I.5 is also called the "Home Office" and is in charge of intelligence (Military Intelligence bureau number 5), but what's the difference with the M.I.6 (if ever it really exist) ?

I read on an other thread that SAS also do Intelligence work. So what's the difference between those three Corps ?

Exactly. The SAS are like the Navy Seals or Special Forces of the United States and the GSG9 of Germany. Military Elite Special Operations Forces. MI6 is like the CIA from the United States.

As I understand it, MI5 is responsible for domestic security and counter-espionage while MI6 is the primary foreign intelligence service.

Anyone?

After you mentioned the SAS I noticed at the top of the page a pop up online SAS course, I thought that must be why the Bravo two zero episode was such a cock up if The Regiment these days does its training online.
Fortunately it's not the same SAS but a stats course :rolleyes:

:lol:

i would also like to point out at this point that the SAS are the world's most elite fighting unit :)

i would also like to point out at this point that the SAS are the world's most elite fighting unit
Other than the SBS, but thats another story
I disagree.... I believe the Israeli Special Forces are probably the most elite, followed quite closely by the US Navy SEALs... The SAS, while extremely effective and highly trained, are not quite as elite as the first two...

Remember tho, the differences are quite miniscule... A normal everyday Joe like urselves would not be able to tell the difference.... Its all about the tempo at which certain services operate...

The Israelis, obviously, operate at a tempo that no other special services unit operate at...

The thing with Special Warfare types is that the longer and harder they serve, the better and more elite they are....

I agree on certain aspects of what your saying but you really cant compare them, SF from around the world are usually brought up for a mainly specific purpose, SEALs gotta be Stealthy, SAS have to be quick and unforgiving(Same goes for Delta Force), JTF-2 well they take alot after SAS but we add a Canadian ingredient to it,

Isreal's army is specifacly designed for to handle its own problems with the PLO, so really how would those tactics play out on UN training in say Europe?, The point is they are different so its hard to compare.

Im with Les on this also. The Isrealis take shit from no one and there SF have lots of training and are constantly on there toes. They are the most elite in my opinion also.

102first_hussars said:
JTF-2 well they take alot after SAS but we add a Canadian ingredient to it
I certainly wouldn't know for sure or anything, but I thought JTF 2 was slightly more focused towards counter-terrorism. More like the Delta Force or the SBS than the SAS, in terms of their more specialized training. I know the boys in JTF are no slouches, but I didn't think they had their fingers in as many pies so to speak as the SEALs or the SAS. Like I say though, I'd be the last to know much about JTF 2, beyond the "official" information. ;)

Nonskimmer said:
102first_hussars said:
JTF-2 well they take alot after SAS but we add a Canadian ingredient to it
I certainly wouldn't know for sure or anything, but I thought JTF 2 was slightly more focused towards counter-terrorism. More like the Delta Force or the SBS than the SAS, in terms of their more specialized training. I know the boys in JTF are no slouches, but I didn't think they had their fingers in as many pies so to speak as the SEALs or the SAS. Like I say though, I'd be the last to know much about JTF 2, beyond the "official" information. ;)

I wasnt thinking I meant to say that alot of our tradition takes after the old Canadian Airbourne.

The Biggest is that the primary means of deployment is by Parachuting (Bailing out) of either a Herc or a Griffon, the difference JTF-2 has between other special forces is we can operate in Platoons and still maintain a low profile and wth the Initiative, and you said we are mainly Anti-terrorist, not necessarly, we did target designations for the CF-18's in Kosovo, We also trained Himalayin Soldiers to fight communist rebels.

Not my guys, but JTF-2 was also working on raiding the Native Reserve Kanasataki for their illegal smuggling of goods to the states.

We have to be capable of many roles as SF, since Canada has only one major branch.

I dont even think the Navy has one, the whole crew is qualified to do ship boardings etc, right?- oh you realise I have to kill you now, since Ive told you too much? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back