Maine Teen Hits Football Field Despite Having Both Legs Amputated

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Gotta love and respect this kid!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SOUTH HIRAM, Maine — A teenager from Maine may have had both legs amputated at age 2, but that hasn't stopped him from passing the pigskin since fourth-grade, WMTW-TV Portland reported.

Birth defects prompted doctors to amputate Ed Warren's legs below the knee while he was still a toddler. But, with the help of prosthetics, he started running up and down the football field while still in grade school.

"When I first started, it was hard. I wasn't sure I could do it because of my legs, but I've grown out of it and I love it. I love every second of it," Warren told WMTW-TV Portland.

The high school senior recently transferred to Sacopee Valley High School and now wears No. 42 on the football field.

Warren also plans to play on the school's basketball and baseball later this year. He credits his mother for helping him achieve his goals.

She's pushed me to play," he said. "If I tell her I don't want to play, she'll push me until I say yes."

Teen Plays Football With Prosthetic Legs - Sports News Story - WMTW Portland

TO

Good to see. More kids with disability like this should do sport. For example look at Oscar Pistorius. He has pretty much the same disability and played rugby at school until a back injury ruled him out of the sport just over 5 years ago when he then took up athletics and is now a triple gold medallist from the Beijing Paralympics and wants to participate in the Olympics in London in 2012.

Oscar Pistorius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back