Malta Vc Spitfires - Armament Changes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
Some Malta Spitfire Vc's had the 20mm cannons located the outboard cannon bays, and only the inboard set of .303 machine guns were retained. Does anyone know why this armament arrangement was used? The cannons were normally located in the inboard bay, until the development of the "E" wing. Were the outboard .303's deleted for weight reasons, or was there some other reason?

Thanks.

Ron

Just a conjecture, Ron, but weren't the Vc's launched from HMS Eagle stripped of m/g for fuel advantage?

Just a memory of some reading here....

Beurling had plenty of opportunity to go over his guns with the air mechanics, and if there was any advantage to be gained (Summer '42) from running more m/g and less cannon you would think he would have used it.

Peter

I thnk you will find that the Spit Vc either had the normal 2 x 20 and 4 x LMG, or 4 x 20. I have heard of 2 x LMG being removed to help reduce the weight and performance and some times all four being taken out for the same reason.

Everything that arrived in April and May 1942 from the USS Wasp (though I can't confirm from HMS Eagle) was fitted with 4 x 20mm, I haven't found anything that contradicts this.
This setup didn't last long and the complement was halved on arrival, principally due to the acute shortage of 20mm ammunition on the island but also because of the halved serviceability demands of 2 x 20mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back