Maneuverability vs Speed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No. I did join a game late that my friends were playing. They used every piece and board section from both Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader. Rocco was the Axis. I took over for him and I was pushing the Wallies back into the sea and had the Soviets back to the gates of Moscow. Very realistic.

Hi,
Does this thread get the #1 slot for drift?
I had thought of contributing, but I don't have a chatbot subscription.

Eng

This forum would be so much more sedate if nobody talked about anything. Right?

The OP just made a long post about the superiority of European and specifically German military equipment, not just aircraft, in WW2. I think it's usually a good idea to debunk that in an informative, fact based way when it comes up on a seemingly sincere basis.

PG Guderian was an operational level game, so like battalion or regiment sized units rather than platoons like in Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz. The neat thing about it was, to simulate the very wide mix of quality of the Soviet units, (and the lack of awareness of the disparity in power of different units by the Soviet command) they had a question mark on them, and you couldn't see the stats until they got engaged. So your tank regiment might be equipped with T-34s, or you might have BT-7s, or something like this

Which maybe won't work out so well...

And that leads into what happened at Stalingrad. When the Soviets counterattacked, they had figured out what kit worked and what didn't, very much the hard way. So they cancelled production of all the useless stuff, and carefully hoarded all of their best equipment. Like T-34s which had only been seen by the handful before, now appear in the hundreds. Katyusha rockets, similarly concentrated. Infantry armed with PPSh-41 submachine guns, little burp guns with 75 round magazines and a 1250 rpm rate of fire, which turned out to be a shock for German troops mostly still using K98 bolt action rifles. Definitely giving the Soviets an advantage in the close-in urban combat.

The Germans were coming in with a policy of extermination. With the largest and most modern army in the world at that time. The US has never faced such a threat. Just a little perspective.
The Soviets were already masters of extermination. Under Stalin they managed to murder at least 65 million of their own in the gulags prior to WWII. This is now well documented. One of the reasons they were so far behind the Germans tactically is Stalin murdered a huge number of very good general officers in his purge.

A friend, John P. was pretty much unbeatable at that game for years.
I've never played that one. When I was at DLI we played Third Reich and World in Flames every weekend. Ahh, those were the days. I played a lot of the Avalon Hill games, Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Air Force/Dauntless, I still have many of them, but haven't played in years.

The Soviets were already masters of extermination. Under Stalin they managed to murder at least 65 million of their own in the gulags prior to WWII. This is now well documented.
Stalin was a monster, one of the worst the world has seen. He was responsible for killing millions, but not for 65 millions, and especially not in gulags.

Stalin was a monster, one of the worst the world has seen. He was responsible for killing millions, but not for 65 millions, and especially not in gulags.

Yeah, demographers have shown 65 million at least. Could be up to 80 million.

The Black Book of Communism write 20 million in soviet union ... so 65 is wrong
What is funny is the more time passes, the fewer people he murdered. The lowest reasonable estimate is 28.7 million from the Foundation for Economic Education. That number only refers to the gulags. It doesn't take in the 3.5 to 5 million who died of starvation after the destruction of the kulaks. It doesn't take into account those who died of disease and starvation. It's kind of like the nazi apologists who claim that only around 900,000 died in the concentration camps. That number ignores those who died of starvation and disease, which numbered in the millions.

The simple reality is no one will ever know how many tens of millions Stalin murdered. They simply didn't care how many died so didn't bother to keep track. That is the simple, harsh reality.

That's why demographic studies are the most reliable. They calculate how many there were before the purges, how many there were after the purges, and how many don't exist, who should based on birth rates.

the article of FEE not report 28.7 millions deaths by stalin/communism in soviet union just 28.7 million go to the gulag and "out of which millions died as a result of the system of forced labor".
if actually Stalin killed 65m people in soviet union in around 30 years the germans will win in the eastern front because of lack of soldier in the red army

p.s. and the Black book is a 1997 book not a new

The best studies are from the 1980's into the early 1990's when the CCCP collapsed and their records became available. One figure that is never even attempted to be calculated are the extra judicial killings that plagued the country for decades. Rough estimates for those are 1 to 1.5 million per year.

Never claimed otherwise. I probably should have focused on British jet design instead, though admittedly, it has been overshadowed by German jet design, and as such, I was too worried about how much the latter had influenced the former, if at all. Either way, the Japanese were lagging behind all major powers across the board, except perhaps Italy, who had largely been defeated as early as 1943, arguably. This would appear to have been, in part, a consequence of the maeuverability doctrine the Japanese were said to have followed during the war, which was the main point of the topic. Why this country and this doctrine, and whether or not any other nation could have followed similarly as well.
I am uncertain about the 12:1 kill ratio that the A6M supposedly achieved. Against whom? The ill-equipped and inexperienced Chinese air force? Besides that, it's lightweight aluminum had equivalents in America, and maybe elsewhere, if I remember correctly, and its large range involved numerous sacrifices. Not particularly innovative, so beyond that kill ratio, its hardly an uber weapon on the level of the bomb or the jet. Pilot training, the real reason for its success anyways, had some deficiencies, such as training in deflection shooting, among others, and is not a hard technology which would seemingly be more difficult to conceive, develop and produce in large quantities in the initial phases. The Japanese struggled to put out newer aircraft carriers, and older designs were still in service for much of the war, one of the reasons why newer, heavier carrier aircraft were late to be produced by the Empire. As for battleships, which is fairly unrelated to the conversation, the Japanese were said to have inferior projectiles, speed, range, radar, and, while armor could be thick enough to be impenetrable, was, in terms of technology, inferior in design. With the advent of missiles, submarine aircraft carriers, already irrelevant to the war for numerous reasons, including radar among others, would largely become a dead-end technology.
I would say when it came to the most sophisticated weapons, including aircraft, the Japanese focused on naval designs. The B7A was probably the best dive bomber design of the war, an order of magnitude more sophisticated and effective than a Stuka.
Improved, higher calibre, radar-guided AA would have made life difficult for the Ryusei. The Germans also had rocket-equipped aircraft, though the effectiveness of that type of aircraft, especially against heavily armored columns, has been disputed. Japanese rocket-equipped aircraft was slow to arrive.
My point is as follows. I have seen, in this discussion and elsewhere, that a worsening war situation, coming with increasing bombing raids crippling logistics, hindered the ability of the Japanese to reliably deploy or develop more sophisticated designs, yet, the Germans were putting out increasingly sophisticated designs, to a point yes, but still, they were advancing in technology even as the war turned bleak for them, as opposed to the Japanese. Is there not a disparity here? Japan a great power?

Edit: 'Coincidentally', the first and third images of the "Random Media" slideshow were of an American pilot showing off a tally of kills against German aircraft, and a tipped over Tiger. Look, Mr. ww2aircraft.net, I am not a diehard fan of the long-dead Nazi regime at all, I was just pointing out their advanced technology an example for a comparison with Japanese aircraft. They were not unique in sophisticated technology. They did have some sleek aircraft and bulky tanks though.

Last edited:

You're ignoring his point, Gary. Aside from 3 million men followed up by Einssatzgruppen, the German ideology of extermination was external more than internal. The Soviets exterminated ideological opponents or Stalin's perceived internal threats; the Germans specifically aimed to exterminate Jews and Slavs behind the armies, with specialized units to do this -- along with killing ideological opponents.

It's a false equivocation to compare GULags to German occupation. They were very different.

I am not ignoring anything. And no, the German ideology managed to exterminate a minimum of 3 million of their own citizens. With my own eyes I have seen the multiple grave markers in the Lich Cathedral that over and over and over describe Germans killed by the GESTAPO.

Right, they killed their own Jews, and other "untermenschen". But the difference you're ignoring is that in the Drang Nach Ost, the Germans drove into Poland and the USSR precisely in order to get rid of the local populations so that Das Volk might have Leibensraum -- while on the other hand the Stalin purges were 1) not military operations and 2) nor based on a racial ideology except for the Holodomor, but rather aimed at perceived threats.

In short, you're right that both regimes were bloodthirsty and killed millions; but your analysis is oversimplistic because while the NaZi invasion aimed to kill or remove everyone (eventually), the Stalinesque archipelago was more designed to provide continual cheap labor for the state while leaving the local economy in place, while the German aim was to "cleanse" an area racially as well as ideologically for the eventual settlement by "Aryans".

So yes, you are indeed ignoring some facts.

The destruction of the kulaks kind of argues against keeping local economies in place. The fact is the Soviets were interested in top down control to the point that factories were still producing items that were no longer being used.

Lebensraum was a policy enacted to appease the dictates of the League of Nations that said if you take over a region, and then hold elections, and the people vote for you, then that region is yours.

Hitler merely jumped to the logical conclusion that if you get rid of the original inhabitants, and replace with your own, then the vote is assured.

I'm not ignoring, I merely jump to the end because most of the intervening facts are not truly important.

Speed kills. Since most air to air kills were the result of bouncing an unaware opponent, the advantage of speed to catch your quarry is paramount. The Poles, prior to the onset of hostilities believed their piloting skill was sufficient to defeat their foes. Once confronted with bombers that could outrun their obsolete Pzl 11s, not to mention Germany's superior fighters, they were in for a shock.
A similar shock was experienced by the 23rd FG in 1943 with the introduction of the Ki-44 in China. Their P-40s dominated the Ki-27s and Ki-43s, but were at a distinct disadvantage against the high powered Ki-44.

Users who are viewing this thread