Maneuverability vs Speed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"a round trip of 850 miles..." would alude to being 425 miles each way, but maybe it depends on how you define the term "round trip".

I never said guns were passe. I said that missiles made both speed and maneuverability less important.

Google maps is your friend.

It is about 360-370 miles from Darwin to Cape Lore in Timor in a straight line.
I don't know were the aircraft were based out of, but some where near Darwin makes sense and allows for a few dog legs.
Again look at a map. the Darwin vicinity is one of two points on Australian (not including Islands) that are closest to East Timor and since there a number of bases/airfields around Darwin not much else makes sense.

I never said guns were passe. I said that missiles made both speed and maneuverability less important.

I mean, I understood it pretty well I think. And I was pointing out that this was a debate in aircraft design through the 20th Century and right into today.

For example this plane...

... was proposed already in the late 1950s as jet which had a long loiter time and could just fly around carrying a lot of missiles.

The notion that missiles kind of made everything else obsolete was the basis for this proposed design, but we don't seem to have gotten there yet.

I'm not any kind of expert on jet fighters, so this is not me trying to claim I can fully encompass the issue, it's just my take on it.

You referring to the Spit VIII trip?

Yeah, we took missiles far too seriously in the 50s, when they had an abysmal success rate and very difficult launch parameters. But modern missiles are much more effective. Nowadays, if you're in a close-quarters dogfight, you've screwed up big-time.

The F35A has an internal gun, the B&C do not IIRC. It will be interesting to see if an old lesson becomes a new one…

The thing I wrestle with is why do we need a very expensive stealth fighter to do CAS? With a gun pod. That is VTOL.

Personally I would want the gun, it is reliable, un-jamable, and provides instant gratification / feedback.

I 100% agree about very (very) expensive Stealth fighter for CAS. I bet a lot of people in the USMC agree too.

As far as why you might need a gun, or to turn well, one scenario i can imagine happening is that countermeasures for missiles improve a lot. I mean, that's part of the point of Stealth right? These things don't typically remain static anyway.

Another scenario which seems like an obvious possibility is that you were simply outnumbered.

What is your take on maneuverability in modern fighters? Necessary? Helpful? or un-needed?

There is a big difference in the maneuverability of modern missiles and old missiles.

Missiles, in theory, are easier to design because you don't have provide a pressurized, temperature controlled environment that won't squash the guidance system (pilot) like a bug in a high G maneuver.
However trying to generate enough G forces with tiny control surfaces was a bit more difficult than they thought and the common alternative, thrust vectoring using vanes that stuck into the rocket efflux degraded propulsion. Propulsion itself took quite some time to sort out. Solid fuel often gave two choices. High thrust for a short time or low thrust for a long time.
You could use high thrust for a short time to get up to speed ( mach 2 or better) with a low thrust sustainer (stretch the coasting) but that was not adjustable by the pilot or guidance system. Common techniques in the early days of forcing the missiles to make several sharp turns exhausted the missiles propulsion envelope even if the missile had a seeker that would allow for re=engagement.
Much better rocket motor technology allows for not only more speed, endurance but for higher G turns.

If you are carrying a gun, maneuverability I would think, goes hand in hand. Also, as mentioned missiles can be defeated via countermeasures and or maneuvering. I would want a maneuverable fighter, but realize speed can help when trying to defeat a missile. Get launched on by an adversary, do a big check turn, speed up or turn around and go "out". The faster you go, better you accelerate, the closer your enemy can be when you can turn and run successfully.

I think you broke it down pretty well there. The smaller vanes on a missile are necessary for high speed, but make turning hard. I saw a video on some missile... I think maybe SM-2 or SM-3? Which used the vectored thrust option you mentioned.

I guess one big question is going to be how well stealth works as protection from missile locks, and what kind of role the 'other flying things' that are not quite planes, not quite missiles, and not quite autonomous is going to be.

I think we are in the age of throttle-able missiles according to Aviation Week.

The AIM-9X has thrust vectoring and MUCH improved range over the previous versions all with the same motor.

Also, the greater the speed of the missiles, the less G they will need to pull at end game as even a super maneuverable plane won't be able to move enough to change the outcome.

Cheers,
Biff

"a round trip of 850 miles..." would alude to being 425 miles each way, but maybe it depends on how you define the term "round trip".
Of course it's ~425 miles each way. I've never suggested otherwise. That raid is just a data point for use in evaluating the Mk VIII's range. Allied mission planners tended to be very conservative about mission range, and so the standard 1/3 range to target, 1/3 range over target, 1/3 range return is a typical plan. The IJN didn't think that way, and were prepared to make a much smaller allowance for time over the target and even order one way missions, where the aircrew would plan to ditch their aircraft! However, even the IJN and the Zero's designer thought that the ~560nm/645mile range from Rabual to Guadalcanal was stretching the Zero's range to the maximum:

Consequently provision was made for an alternate ditching point and landing strip for A6M2-21's that couldn't make it back to Rabual. The IJNAF also stripped the radio's and radio masts from the A6M2-21 to lighten it further and stretch out every bit of range possible and these kinds of mods would not be considered in most other AFs.

Last edited:
And when you look at the losses suffered by the Japanese you really need to wonder if the range they had was worth it, I've posted this before but the Japanese would regularly suffer double digit losses on their missions, on another thread their losses were proven to be 50%, that's simply unsustainable.

a half a dozen bulldozers may have made a significant difference to Solomon's campaign.

No one can sustain 50% loses and stay operational. If you start with 100 aircraft and you suffer a 50% loss rate, you are out of airplanes in 8 missions.

Somebody's math is seriously screwed up because the Japanese lasted 3 1/2 years after attacking Pearl Harbor, and that was WAY more than 8 missions.

Users who are viewing this thread