Martin Drewes dies in Brazil (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And what about the thousands of resistance fighters that died horribly under the heel of Hitler's Reich?

My Grandfather was a Dutch resistance fighter in WWII and had to leave his family because he was a wanted man. For months on end he was moving from place to place, all over western Europe, to evade capture. He was one of the lucky ones. My wife's grandfather, German Resistance Fighter, spent years in a concentration camp because his surname was Jewish even though he never was - he was German. He suffered greatly and was not well the rest of his life. My wife's other Grand father was a Luftwaffe Pilot and was lost on the Russian Front somewhere. And her Step-grandfather served in the German Navy, and his ship was the only one in the fleet that was not sunk - number 13 was his lucky number.

I think it is easy to misunderstand but the Germans were and are an extremely patriotic people - many were and are horrified at the atrocities that were committed. Many civilian Germans helped downed fighter pilots and hid many Jews.

Many good men died at the hand of one madman - on both sides. That is the sad point.

douvie.8)

Sophocles, in his tragedy "Antigone" very well explained the problem inside these concepts. It was 441 B.C. and Humanity don't seem to have found a solution up to now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back