Martlets in BoB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is the anecdote that does absolutely nothing to establish relative effectiveness of either plane, particularly with regards to their effectiveness aginst a completely different plane (such as a Zero or Oscar). It does however illustrate what happened when four (my mistake I thought it was 2) Hurricanes had a mock dogfight with four Wildcats on two consecutive days.

All the Fine Young Eagles by David L. Bashow
ISBN; 0-7737-2976-3

Page 248-9.

After a few rounds from the bar, a discussion developed regarding the merits of the Wildcat versus the Hurricane. It continued until the Americans issued a challenge they would have four Wildcats at Torbay the following morning. The tactics were simple. Four pairs, each consisting of a Wildcat and a Hurricane, would meet at an agreed upon altitude, in each of the four quadrants of the sky, North. West. South and East of the airport. They would meet, fly in formation for a minute or two, then break up and approach each other head on. From then on it was a straight dogfight, with each pilot trying to get on the other fellow's tail. Flight Commanders were not allowed to fly on either side. We were part of the large audience assembled on the ground to see the show. Everything went according to plan. The aircraft met, flew in formation for a minute or two, and then began dog fighting. In a couple of minutes there were four Hurricanes on the tails of four Wildcats, and they stayed there, to great applause and shouts from the audience below.

After landing, everyone adjourned to the hangar to hash over the situation. The Americans seemed completely nonplused by the turn of events. They could not understand how things could have turned out the way they had. It must have been some kind of aberration that could never happen again, so they issued another challenge for the following afternoon. This time, they announced. Flight Commanders could fly, so I decided to get in on the fun in Hurricane 5485. That afternoon the two readiness aircraft: equipped with depth charges**, were sitting on the tarmac. "Butch" Washburn and "Gibby" Gibbs were the readiness pilots that day and Butch said to me. "You know Bill, I think we can take on these buggers with those readiness aircraft." "Why not?" I replied ... "Have a go." We lined up a fourth pilot and the exercise was carried out all over again with four Hurricanes on the tails of four Wildcats once again. Butch Washburn was so keen that he stayed on the Wildcat's tail until it landed on the runway. The Americans were forced to admit that the Hurricane was the better aircraft. Even when it was ladened with depth charges. We had a party in the Mess that night with the Americans becoming more generous and more lavish with their praise as the evening wore on. According to some of them, if 128 Squadron, complete with aircraft and personnel. could suddenly be transported to the Pacific Theater, we would make short work of the Japanese Air Force. Yes, it was a great party ...

(From an original post by Jaberwocky in another thread.) http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/av...e-mk-iib-vs-grumman-f4f-4-wildcat-1550-6.html

First re: Terry, sorry 'mate' but somebody else first brought up an anecdote of mock dog fight which supposedly established the relative effectiveness of the two types so I didn't start it. A thread simply answering the question whether the F4F fought in the BoB proper would be a one word thread: no. :D

1. Back to the digression,:D

If you'd like to start a new thread on the "digression" , i'll try to answer though in honesty after reading your reply my view remains as previously expressed. So rather than promote eyestrain, i'll simply keep Terry's gentle reminder in my head and say in this thread......"I don't recall any Martlet's particpating in the BoB." :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back