Marton XV-01 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It outperformed F-86As and B's, and had a high servicer ceiling than the F-86F with better thrust to weight. It could have dealt with MiG-15s in Korea while we fflew several thousand feet below. It had four 20mm cannons inlieu of our six 50-cal MG.

It set a world speed record in 1954 (in the F-86s heyday) and another one in 1955 (also in the F-86s heyday).

Pretty good for a usually-overlooked early jet fighter.

In 1948 the F-86a set a 670mph speed record, in 1952 a F-86d set a 698mph record, in 53 F-86d set a 715mph record.

In 1954 a J29 set a 500K record of 601 mph and in 55 set the 1000k record of 559mph. And it's listed top speed is 660mph.

The F-86 had some ultimate speed records, the J29 had some speed records over distance, that the F-86 might or might not have been able to exceed.

I'm not too sure how a fighter with just a 6000fpm max climb would be able to cope with a fighter with a almost 11000fpm roc ability. ( Mig 15 )

Granted, the J29 may have a 2000 ft higher service ceiling, and 20mm cannons, but in every other performance category it falls short of the F-86, especially in roc.

Getting back to the original question, check out the rear propeller clearance when the aircraft is nose high, you'll see it's a impossible dream aircraft.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose it depends on which fighter pilots you talk with and their experiences. The people I have spoken with that flew the J29 have nothing but praise for it, against all and any opposition. Of course, stories get better with time. Still, I have spoken with nobody who didn't like the J29 well into the 1960s, even opponents.

The J29 had almost exactly the same speed, good aramment, very goo turning abilities. and was not snaky in a dive like a MiG-15.

If I flew them both, I'm not sure which would seem best, but even a MiG-15 pilot would not know unless he had time in both ... tiome enough to get to know the other one and make an informed decision. The J29 set speed over distance records, not top speed.

Last edited:
Didn't the J29 lack the range to perform many of the missions the F-86 performed? (relatively short range is one of the ways the MiG 15 managed its performance advantages over the F-86)

An old thread about the J29 and F-86

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/post-war/na-86-vs-saab-j29-7427.html

Didn't the J29 lack the range to perform many of the missions the F-86 performed? (relatively short range is one of the ways the MiG 15 managed its performance advantages over the F-86)
The MiG-15 carried way less fuel than the Saber but Was also lighter in over all construction. The F-86 was built like a tank, the MiG-15 IMO more like a sports car. I maintained one of each for a few years and each had it's advantages and flaws. In the end I think the F-86 was a better aircraft.

J29 vs MiG-15? I'd go with the J29

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back