Matt Clear

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I tried it and suffered no ill effects, it dried clear and the decals have gone on fine, so will put another coat on this evening and get some pics of the finished product up. I suspect that the milkiness is due to some change in the formula, the stuff also stinks to high heaven as well, like a much stronger version of Pledge furniture polish. Definitely need some good ventilation when using it, I could still smell a whiff of it this morning, more than 12 hours later

Glad to hear it worked OK. It's actually a wax floor polish, which explains the smell, and the occasional problems when using some decal solutions. When it gets wet, especially from a setting/softening solution, it releases the wax, which causes the cloudiness some have experienced.

Ah, good to know, I didn't actually need to use any Micro Set, the decals slid about quite nicely with good old tap water 8) The canopy and turret did fog a little bit though, is it best to mask these on my next attempt?

Yep. Mask all transparent parts. It should come off with a bit of Isopropyl alchohol, or toothpaste or a very small amount of 'T-Cut'. If you want a gleaming, crystal-clear finish to canopies, dip them in Klear, drain and let it dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back