Max Flap and Gear IAS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SCook

Airman
Aug 1, 2009
Defiance, Ohio
Is there a source for max. flap and gear speeds for IL-2 flyable aircraft...as well as min. stall speeds? I'm looking at the airspeed guage (bf-109) and would expect to see colored arcs representing those indications but I'm not seeing them. Or am I looking at the wrong instrument?

I can get a Hellcat on the ground almost intuitively but the 109 is killing me...

and killing me and killing me.

Thanks
Edit: I did find the tutorial for landing the 109 (and can now get it on teh ground) but it would still be nice to have those speeds for all aircraft.

Last edited:
Not too sure about the German aircraft, but the P-51, P-47, and P-38 series aircraft all have data plates in the cockpit with Max Speed for flap deployment.

Not too sure about the German aircraft, but the P-51, P-47, and P-38 series aircraft all have data plates in the cockpit with Max Speed for flap deployment.

Good to know Deacon. Thanks. I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with this. I simply can't believe I didn't even know about IL-2 until I started running into clips on YouTube while searching for gun camera films about 6 months ago. At the time I was irked at those "animated fakes".

I did break down and get TIR5. Should be here in a couple of days.

One thing to remember is that the German planes speed is in Kilometer's Per Hour instead of Miles Per Hour. So dont get them confused and think everything is in MPH. So 200 kilometers/hour = about 124 miles/hour.

Be careful and watch your speeds. I hardly look at my speed any more, as the more you play, the more you get the feel for it. I only really watch speed in the dive, but other than that, I dont watch it much.

If you play Aces High, Im on there alot. Hit me up here if you want to team up and fly or if you have questions.

One thing to remember is that the German planes speed is in Kilometer's Per Hour instead of Miles Per Hour. So dont get them confused and think everything is in MPH. So 200 kilometers/hour = about 124 miles/hour.

>>>Yep...already killed myself a time or two on that one. Question: is there not a toggle that switches the speedbar between metric and English? I could swear I've seen tracks on YouTube with the speedbar in English units. I havn't seen it in the contol section. Maybe its in the 89 patches...which I've not downloaded yet.

Be careful and watch your speeds. I hardly look at my speed any more, as the more you play, the more you get the feel for it. I only really watch speed in the dive, but other than that, I dont watch it much.

>>>Amazing how fast this developes. I did find the manuals in the program files which helps alot with take-off and landing speeds. I think the 109 is a good one to learn on; once you can land it reliably most others come pretty easily.

If you play Aces High, Im on there alot. Hit me up here if you want to team up and fly or if you have questions.

>>>Thanks Beau. No account there yet but I might just take you up on that.

I was about ready to stomp on my TrackIR unit until I learned to center it low enouph to be able to look high. Now it works great. Hellava difference. My biggest problem now is learning to fly clean. Constantly chasing those fw's and having them outrun my P-51 only to look and see the ball all the way to one side. Getting better with practice though...

A feel for arial gunnery gets frustrating at times. I was chasing another fw the other day on unlimited ammo just for some practice on the p-51D single mission in Russia. I musta put five loads of ammo through it over a 20 minute chase. I knew I was hitting it because parts were flying back over my canopy. Just wasn't hitting him good. Funny how those AI pilots know right where you have set your convergence.

Last edited:
I can get a Hellcat on the ground almost intuitively but the 109 is killing me...

and killing me and killing me.

Boy!, learning is one of the funniest issues of the game!.
Flaps in combat position doesn´t have speed limits (the never break). As a rule of the tumb, in landing or take off don´t exceed 360 - 370 km/h or they jamm, this is not exactly the same for every ship but you can have an idea of how much are your flaps suffering.
Welcome to the virtual sky!.

Speaking of flaps, is it historically accurate that RAF early war planes (Spit and Hurricane, etc) and the I-16s have only two down settings, combat and landing? Is there a way to set flaps incrementally? It seems AI pilots can do this,

Speaking of flaps, is it historically accurate that RAF early war planes (Spit and Hurricane, etc) and the I-16s have only two down settings, combat and landing? Is there a way to set flaps incrementally? It seems AI pilots can do this,

From what I understand, these planes only had 2 settings. Up and Down. There was no inbetween. You only get Combat settings cause its a game. I did check in the manuals for the spitfire and it does state that the flaps only have 2 positions; fully up and fully down. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. I was less surprised that these planes apparently had only two settings than I was that AI pilots could obviosuly apply intermediate settings. It's very obvious when you are sitting in a takeoff lineup and the plane ahead of you has lowered his flaps only part way and yours are almost dragging the ground!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back