Me 109, Spitfire, Zero or Mustang

Which plane would you fly in a dogfight?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I did 'dump burn' in the F-111 FLYBOY J. I am impressed with the knowledge of aviation history in the forum. Sometimes the questions from the real enthusiasts can be a bit curly. I also flew in the USAF on exchange duties 'evangilder'. I suppose I have to throw my hat in the ring on my preferences for WW2 fighters eh? The main types generally nominated by you old hands seem to be well agreed upon as the 109, Spitfire, 190 and Mustang, Zero, it just seems a bit hard to shuffle them into an agreed order. That is understandable because the pecking order changed throughout the war as each side got surprised and made changes. As stated a couple of posts ago thje variables are numerous and sometimes one just has to dive in with technical data modified by gut feeling and a touch of romance - Spitfire Mk XIV, P-51D,Fw 190, Corsair, Bf109G. And the pilots of all of those would be a bit jumpy if they knew a Zero was lurking the neighborhood! Silly old me left the PC9/A out of my lineup of steeds. Ours is the 950HP version, and I would like to get into the USAF TrojanII with more grunt, or better still trhe PC21!

I feel a bit hybrid having done the chopper and F-111 bit, but nothing matches flying a fighter, single seat of course. How about you lanc? Can you explain what the 'unconfirmed and confirmed kills' mean please. I haven't been able to find a reference on them.

falcon39 said:
I feel a bit hybrid having done the chopper

Good man having flown the UH-1 in Vietnam, my hats off to you. My father was a Huey guy. Flew them for 20 years. I fly the Blackhawk now in the US Army. Not a chopper pilot, just a crewchief though. Do a little bit of private flying when the army lets me and I can afford the German gas prices.

Welcome falcon... Glad to see our little site here agrees with ur approval... The members personal histories here make this a very interesting place...

From Crew Chiefs to Submariners, from Tankers to SEALs to Special Ops, from Airforce guys running around with M-16's to the Mechanics and Aviation Mates that allowed u to fly, Im sure that, if u stay around long enough, that u will fit right in here.....

Welcome!

Thanks Adler Les. Never say you are "just a crewchief"!! The whole team is needed to do the job. I know that I owe my life to my crewchief and gunner in Vietnam. One of them was an ex-infantry soldier from the OZ army and he could always put his first rounds from the twin-M60 doorguns exactly on target, and he had hawkeyes as well. I can tell you wasn't "just a crewchief"! I haven't had any flak on my favourites yet. I am still working my way through the whole forum history. I note a bit of turbulence in places! Opinions that I greatly respect, and consider worthy of researching are those of Johnnie Johnson, Dougie Bader, and Adolph Galland.

[quote"Les"]
From Crew Chiefs to Submariners, from Tankers to SEALs to Special Ops, from Airforce guys running around with M-16's to the Mechanics and Aviation Mates that allowed u to fly, Im sure that, if u stay around long enough, that u will fit right in here.....
[/quote]

where do i fit in ;)

and falcon the kills don't really mean anything, the longer your posts, the more kills baiscally..........

one last thing, what do you think of the Avro Lancaster??

falcon39 said:
Thanks Adler Les. Never say you are "just a crewchief"!! The whole team is needed to do the job. I know that I owe my life to my crewchief and gunner in Vietnam. One of them was an ex-infantry soldier from the OZ army and he could always put his first rounds from the twin-M60 doorguns exactly on target, and he had hawkeyes as well. I can tell you wasn't "just a crewchief"! I haven't had any flak on my favourites yet. I am still working my way through the whole forum history. I note a bit of turbulence in places! Opinions that I greatly respect, and consider worthy of researching are those of Johnnie Johnson, Dougie Bader, and Adolph Galland.

Agreed. :)

Lanc I have to tell you something that you must never tell my old fighter colleagues. The Lancaster is the only four-engined a/c that I would love to fly. Back to fighters now. The human factor that makes selecting 'the best' difficult was well exemplified by the Spitfire and Hurricane pilots of 'The Battle of Britain'. My fighter flying was all in peace time and the scramble take-offs in Mirages etc were very serious affairs. But I still have trouble getting my head around the magnitude of what those BOB pilots and the whole team of observers, radar ops, ops rooms, maintenance troops all did. How do you factor that into the equation, and still respect someone else's choice of pecking order?

I'm pretty sure on the second day he thought it was a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

And I doubt anyone is going to get that, but still.

FLYBOYJ said:
A true fight for survival...

I think if I was Hugh Downing, I would of has a stoke within the first 4 days of the BoB...
It was. I'm most people would have cracked fairly early on in that campaign but his cool head saved the day and the country. (see the quote in my sig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back