Me 109, Spitfire, Zero or Mustang

Which plane would you fly in a dogfight?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm just going to tell myself that it's a later model p-51, so I have the bubble canopy. Anywho I'd go with American muscle.

the irony in that statement the 'stang was hardly a muscle plane and it had british muscle in it anyway :lol:

but i'd proberly take the -109, it's the best comprimise between the zero's handling and the 'stangs speed..........

The Mustang has the advantage when entering the fight. And since I have no real clue about dogfighting, so am seriously green, I'd take the Mustang.

In a classic WW2 style dogfight, a 109 for sure.

Reasons being;

*Better climb than almost any contemporary,
*Better acceleration than almost any contemporary
*Very high power to weight ratio
*Excellent armament set-up with the nose mounted Mg151/20 and the two Mg 131s (or maybe a Mk 103 in a later model :twisted: ),
*Good low speed handling because of the wing slats,
*Good in both the horizontal and vertical planes

The only advantages the Mustang had over the 109 were at high speed (ease of control, pseudo-laminar flow wing) and the Zero is wildly outclassed in terms of speed, climb, dive and roll.

The only advantages the Mustang had over the 109 were at high speed (ease of control, pseudo-laminar flow wing)

I thought the high wing-loading would give the 'schmitt the advantage there?

and the Zero is wildly outclassed in terms of speed, climb, dive and roll.

The Zeke is so bad?? :shock:

Probably the 109F (does the BV155 count? :twisted: )

The P51 is more manouverable than the Gustav/Kurfurst surely?

The Mustang would almost always enter the fight at a higher speed, giving it the initial advantage. If it was an out and out dogfight, both entering at same speed and altitude I would take a Spitfire 21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back