Me109E Mine Layer? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Found these pictures in a German language manual. Did a search on the site and couldn't find anything.

me2.JPG
me.JPG
me1.JPG

Geo

They are anti personnel bombs,they look like SD2s but I can't check at the moment. Later these were dropped in a more familiar way for cluster munitions,from containers (abwurfbehalter) that opened at altitude.
Steve

Hi first time on forums, they certainly look like SD-2 If you look at the manual I think it says aircraft bomb SD-2 for the E and F 109. I have read that the SD's were a little temperamental I wonder if they used this operationally?

These munitions were used extensively,particularly on the Eastern Fron. They were also dropped in considerable numbers on Britain. I'd have to check if that particular system for dropping them was much used but as that Luftwaffen Dienstvorschriften for the E and F was published in 1941 I suspect it was. The AB containers (abwurfbehalter) were much more practical and could be used with the standard ETC racks. They were also made of wood,cheap and non strategic

Why were the "butterfly" bombs temperamental? Once dropped and opened (armed) they were very sensitive but I've not read of any handling problems during loading. They really crammed them in to those containers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back