Messerschmitt 323 Found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that I have seen the pics, I too don't have much hope.

They should salvage what they can however, and put them in museums. I believe only a spar exists in museums today.

Amazing. What a find. Echo others concern about recovering it though. Can't see it's going to be very easy.

If they can bring up artifacts from the Titanic at 2 miles deep, I'm willing to bet they'll figure out a way to bring up this 323 from several hundred feet.

It's all about the economics. There is much more interest generally in the Titanic,various exhibitions have been around the world,artefacts sell for a lot of money. How much interest,outside a small minority of aviation enthusiasts,is there in the remnants of a WWII transport aircrfaft?
Hopefully they'll bring what they can up but I very much doubt that we'll ever see anything even approaching a static restoration of the whole aircraft. I'll happily be wrong though.

Cheers

Steve

There were plans to raise Bv222-V2 (wingspan of 150 ft.) from the sea so I don't think it's out of the question.

Considering how unique it is along with the fact that it is the sole remaining example of it's kind, there would be alot to gain by recovering it. Figure that the Me323 is the grandfather of all military heavy-lift transports that are in use today, it does have a place in aviation history.

While truthful opinion Grau et al, this kite aint no metal monster like the Viking, and being largely tubular, degredation is gonna really affect more so, raising it will produce pieces, a garenteed methinks - unless thats part of the plan - but who nowerdays who knows what, where and which tubes can be severed and seperated without further structural collapse prior to raising.
A great find, and an important A/C too, but a very difficult mission to raise too, akin to the Mary Rose perhaps.

Last edited:
Just trying to be optimistic here...lol

I know that underwater archeology techniques allow them to map what goes where and to bring components up in an organized fashion.

I also notice that the Lady in charge of this project is actually an underwater Archeologist, so there is a measure of hope.

How much of the 323 design was copied by postwar transports? The clam shell doors but that was replaced by tail ramps. Did the 323's undercarriage sit like modern aircraft? How much influence do you all thing it had?

How much of the 323 design was copied by postwar transports? The clam shell doors but that was replaced by tail ramps. Did the 323's undercarriage sit like modern aircraft? How much influence do you all thing it had?

Not much to be honest. It was what it was,a huge glider with engines bolted on.
It was quite a beast though,and efficient. It needed only 0.57 litres of fuel per ton of payload and flying kilometre compare with 1.00 litre for a Ju 52.
It could carry an 11 tonne payload,16 tonnes with the aid of RATO units for take off. That's 50 x 200l barrels of fuel or two trucks complete with their 2 tonne payload. It could carry 130 fully equipped troops or 60 wounded on stretchers. Someone calculated that it could carry 9,000 loaves of bread! It would take six Ju 52s (and 18 aircrew) to perform the same task.
Cheers
Steve

While the physical design of the Gigant may not have been copied directly, there were design features that have been adopted in later modern aircraft.

So you can say that the innovations of the Me323 were definately advanced for it's time...

Me323:
Me323_Gigant[650x414].jpg

Me323_Entladen_Tunesia[650x418].jpg

C5 Galaxy:
C5_Arriving[650x452].jpg

C-5-Galaxy-offloading[650x433].jpg

While the physical design of the Gigant may not have been copied directly, there were design features that have been adopted in later modern aircraft.

So you can say that the innovations of the Me323 were definately advanced for it's time

Fair point. I was thinking a little to literally about all that tube and fabric :)

Gun turrets! The E-2 wing had a couple out in the wings,roughly behind the outboard engine. You wouldn't catch me out there.

Cheers

Steve

There's one for each door. You can see the other one behind the man on the right.

Wooden loading ramps. Talk about the least possible use of strategic meterials, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back