Messerschmitt Bf 109 G camouflage original document (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Master_Ale_88

Airman
Aug 22, 2021
verde9.com
I recently came across the detail of an original document showing an unusual camouflage scheme for Messerschmitt Bf 109 G versions. It is extremely interesting because, as far as I know, this scheme has never been described yet in any publication concerning Luftwaffe camouflage. It prescribe the application of RLM 74, 75, 70, 02 and 76 alla of them on the same aircraft! I am writing an article about this topic on my website, Verde9.com | Storia e modellismo aeronautici, but I find no other information about this scheme. Have you ever seen it? Is there anyone who could help me find the whole original document please? Thanks!
RLM74.png

I am sorry to tell you, but that was the normal camouflage for day fighters introduced with the LDv 521/1 of 1941 and confirmed by factory drawings from MTT: 02 and 74, together with 75, were to be used for the mottling on the fuselage sides, even if in practice the colours used for this purpose did vary between factories and even different batches, sometimes including 70 or 71. In the drawing you posted, however, 70 just refers to the colour of the spinner.

Last edited:
Dear SuperAereo,
Thank you for your explanation!
Actually, to my knowledge, the L.Dv.521/1 of 1941 prescribed the usage of RLM 74 75 and 76 for daylight fighters without specifying the application of mottled RLM 02 on fuselage sides (Ullmann, "Luftwaffe colours 1935-1945" pages 221-238 and "WWII Real colours Aircraft" page 46). However, as you said, the mottled lateral surfaces in RLM 02 represented a common element on daylight fighters; that's why I was so interested about an original document that showed its application with both RLM 74 and 75.
On the countrary, I think that the application of RLM 70 on fuselage sides has never been adopted. This colour was just intended for propeller muzzle in that Messerschmitt Me Bf 109 camouflage. I found indeed the whole document (thanks to fubar57, member of this forum) that shows this feauture.
Here is the whole document (from Luftwaffe original camouflage diagrams archive)
Me-Bf-109-02-70-74-75-76.png

Anyway, since it always interesting to know something new, if you wanted to, I would be happy to see the documents you were talking about from MTT!

It is said the pic shows the RLM 74/75/76 with the RLM02/70 mottling.

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G 'White 10' of JG 52 being serviced somewhere on the Eastern Front.jpg

the source: RLM 74/75/76 Camo - RLM 02 mottling?

and these two also seem to could be ... but I would say they didn't rather

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G_.jpg

It is said the pic shows the RLM 74/75/76 with the RLM02/70 mottling.

View attachment 639950
the source: RLM 74/75/76 Camo - RLM 02 mottling?

and these two also seem to would be ... but I would say it didn't rather

View attachment 639951
View attachment 639952
You're right Wurger, these pics definitely show RLM 02 and 70 on fuselage sides. However it seems to me, that the diagram 8-109 G.a. doesn't prescribe RLM 70 on fuselage, but only on the propeller muzzle (but I might be wrong, I would like to know your opinion). So what I am wondering now is: is the camouflage shown by these pics the same of the diagram 8.109 G.a. (therefore it would actually prescribe RLM 70 on fuselage), or is it a different scheme and consequently there must be a further directive (OS-list for Bf 109 G maybe) that specify its application?

You're right Wurger, these pics definitely show RLM 02 and 70 on fuselage sides. However it seems to me, that the diagram 8-109 G.a. doesn't prescribe RLM 70 on fuselage, but only on the propeller muzzle (but I might be wrong, I would like to know your opinion). So what I am wondering now is: is the camouflage shown by these pics the same of the diagram 8.109 G.a. (therefore it would actually prescribe RLM 70 on fuselage), or is it a different scheme and consequently there must be a further directive (OS-list for Bf 109 G maybe) that specify its application?

I agree. The diagram doesn't contain the RLM70 spots on the fuselage sides. Just it indicates it on the spinner only. Also the camouflage seen in these pics seems to be the same as the 8.109 G.a diagram presents. It is very likely that the additional mottling could be added later by the maintence crews of the squadrons these planes belonged to. It might happen because of the need to adjust the plane colour to the surrounding landscape.

I agree. The diagram doesn't contain the RLM70 spots on the fuselage sides. Just it indicates it on the spinner only. Also the camouflage seen in these pics seems to be the same as the 8.109 G.a diagram presents. It is very likely that the additional mottling could be added later by the maintence crews of the squadrons these planes belonged to. It might happen because of the need to adjust the plane colour to the surrounding landscape.
Thanks for your reply Wurger. I agree with you as well. As you said airfield re-paintings were quite common in Luftwaffe units. Anyway, if I ever found other similar camouflages or related documents to discuss about I will be happy to post theme here.

Hi everybody, I wanted to share with you this amazing video shot by american troops at Fritzlar airbase in 1945. There are a Ju 88, a Ju 87, some Me 110s and several other aircraft visible with their late-war liveries (there is a RAF Typhoon too!). In two different moments a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G is shown and, possibly, it is sporting the RLM 74/75/76/02 scheme (the colours are rather dark, but personally I think that the scheme is that one). I am not sure if RLM 70 mottling is present...
I hope that it can be interesting for enthusiasts and useful for modelers!
Here is the video.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back