Messerschmitt Bf109 emblems and Camo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Me109 camo_96.JPG

Me109 camo_97.JPG

me109 camo_98.JPG

me109 camo_99.JPG

Last edited:
Question: am i seeing things or is the kennzeichnen taped? these are think the factory codes. I was always under the impression that the were painted on. Tape would make so much more sence.

Me109 camo_102_tape.jpg

Me109 camo_103_tape.jpg

Last edited:
Possible, but I doubt it. The orders for the application of stammkennzeichen, which remained in effect until 1st July 1944, specifically require that the markings be applied in washable paint. Given that the markings were applied at the point of manufacture, prior to any ferry flight, it seems likely that the rules would have been followed. German aircraft factories, just like everyone else's were populated by inspectors whose job it was to make sure that the rules were followed. It was to the RLM inspectors (along with 'aircraft offices and airparks', also replete with RLM officials and only issued here by 'special order') that the codes were issued.

If that is indeed a factory code then where was the photograph taken? The codes were supposed to be removed on delivery of the aircraft to its destination. They applied only for the duration of the transit flight(s) and were to be removed 'without delay'. The unit receiving the aircraft was further required to inform the inspector at the aircraft plant (or at the aircraft office or air park) that the markings had been removed within three days following receipt of the aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks stona i had always believed the same as you described. But that "N"does not seem to be painted They had (as you of course know :) ) stencils for.

Thanks stona i had always believed the same as you described. But that "N"does not seem to be painted They had (as you of course know :) ) stencils for.

Indeed, but I think I can just about make out some guide lines, maybe for the application of masking, in the area missing paint.

Cheers

Steve

Being a washable paint, it's possible that it may have chipped away in the airstream if it was applied over a greasy or dirty surface. Looks like someone took great pains to eradicate the swastika from the photo with as much subtlety as possible.

The break in the diagonal stroke of the 'N' looks like it's either side of the jacking point hole, which appears to have a cover on it. Maybe it was left un-painted intentionally ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back