Meteor and P-80.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Will do old boy! Just have to let my rather strained economy after x-mas, hogmany and my...eerrrmmm.....30th birthday recover! It's on life support at the moment. :oops: :lol:

Know the feeling old boy! I'm just hoping my calculations are right, and that I can get the camera which I can't afford anyway! Still, the 1/32nd scale Hunter should arrive this week, and another kit has been ordered from Iris for the current GB, so that'll keep me going for awhile.

Good stuff son! Looking forward to see your latest buys....
Thinking of doing these with the lower surfaces striped with Tamiya's 6mm tape, from wingtip to wingtip...
Question is though, do it an angle or straight like the JV44 crates, doing the later might be a lot easier me think. :lol:

B*ll*cks! Why is it that Academy only have the P-47N and not the M in 1/48!?:( :lol:

Attachments

• P-47N.jpg
    P-47N.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 64
  • P-47M.jpg
    P-47M.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 64
Not a lot of major external differences, M or N, old boy! If you trimmed the fin fillet on the N, it would look OK, a couple of 'scale inches' short maybe, but I doubt if it would be noticed. Or, the straightforward D, and add a 'sharp' fillet from palstic card with a bit of Milliput to blend the fillet to fin joint?
I think the black/yellow stripes would look good as per the 'D Day' stripes - which is probably what the 'thinking of the day' would have done. Alternatively, they could be diagonal, but that would be close to Target Tug colours. The first option would be easier, and look VERY effective - would also sort of link to later use in Suez.

That was what I thought as well old bean, too close to the target tugs. Think that a black/yellow wingtip to wingtip will look rather spiffy, what? Also maybe use some nose art etc., that I know I won't use...

Nice link Jan. Looks to be up to Academy's usual high standard, with some good options. Had a feeling it might have alternative wing-tip styles.
Let the '45 - '46 build commence! Think I'll join you eventually, with something, possibly a Sea Fury, either as a Tempest II, or as it is, diverted to RAF use for the specific role; that is if I don't build it as Sea Fury. Hmm, thinks.......

Question is though...
Since it's a '45-'46 build, should I paint the Thunderbolt in camouflage or NMF (Spit will be in camo)?
In this scenario, Luftwaffe will still be up to strength, with plenty of Doras, Ta's, 335's late mark '109's and what not....
Also, will these crates be attached to the jet squadron like JV44 or be a separate unit with it's own unit markings?

Plenty of stuff coming with Tamiya's '47D! Model Making, Scale Models / Tamiya 61090 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt Bubbletop

Looks like a very nice kit Jan. But, personally, I don't think the price would justify me buying it instead of the Academy kit, which I think is equally as good, apart from 'solid' flaps, and has as many, possibly more, 'extras'.
As for the colour scheme, it's a toss-up between NMF and camouflage but, given the defensive role, I feel that camouflaged upper surfaces would be employed, in order to give some tactical advantage over the 'shine' of a NMF finish, paricularly as these aircraft would be operating, I presume, at medium to low level. The colours would probably be similar to the RAF's green/grey, (possibly green/dark earth) in a wave or other disruptive pattern, as had already been used by the 56th FG., in order to give better concealement than an overall OD finish.

Agreed old scout! I'm still going with the Academy M, just to show the amount parts in the Tamiya kit....lots of goodies!
I've also been toying with the idea, of a three colour scheme for the Thunderbolt, a' la 56FG and what they did with their blues....free thinking!:lol:
Question is which three shades could or should be used....

Since they've been so kind as to supply two of each of these nose arts, I'll be using one of them for this Thunderbolt. Sunday Punch is only one though, but for a B-25 that I won't build...

DSCF0001-32.jpg

DSCF0002-32.jpg

DSCF0003-31.jpg

DSCF0004-27.jpg

....and maybe a three colour camouflage like this.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 42
Think there are decals for 'In the Mood', sure I've seen them somewhere.
That should look good Jan, maybe swap the underside colour to Neutral Grey, or even RAF Light Aircraft Grey? With the black yellow stripes, it should look spiffing, what!

I say old chap...would look rather spiffy with black/yellow stripes don't you know, what!

Are those colours Olive Green (FS:34151), Medium Forest Green (FS:34058.) and Dark Sea Grey (FS:26270)?

Anyone knows the correct or best suitable Vallejo colours for this camouflage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back