Micro Tubing and Rod by Albion Alloys Ltd in the UK

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Found a great (new?) product that I'm sure will come in handy making machine gun barrels, pitot tubes, ladders, aerials and landing gear all the way down to 1/72 scale. I'm sure many of you know about them already, but I've been meaning to tell the rest of us. Bought the following from one of their local distributors here on Long Island (Red Frog Hobbies) as they do not sell direct. Wanted a selection from their smallest up to 2.0 mm OD.

0.1 mm rod Nickle Silver (YES! 1/10th of a millimeter!!!)
0.2 mm rod Brass
0.3 - 0.5 - 0.7 - 0.9MM Slide Fit Brass Tube
0.3 - 0.5 - 0.7 - 0.9MM Slide Fit Aluminum Tube
0.4 - 0.6 - 0.8 - 1.0MM Slide Fit Brass Tube
0.4 - 0.6 - 0.8 - 1.0MM Slide Fit Aluminum Tube
1.1 - 1.3 - 1.5 - 1.7MM Slide Fit Brass Tube
1.2 - 1.4 - 1.6 - 1.8MM Slide Fit Brass Tube
2.0mm OD x 1.8 ID mm tube Brass

I am really happy with this stuff, but it's not as cheap as styrene. I guess you pay for the MICRO in the name! Highly recommended!

Look under "Metal for Model Makers" on their website: Albion Alloys

Found this on the net....

Capture.JPG

http://www.amazonsupply.com/stainle...p/B003TFFCBA/ref=sr_1_8?sr=1-8&qid=1388195587

Geo

Good stuff Jim. My LHS stocks it, and fortunately, Iris, the owner, will 'split' a pack, making it a bit easier on the wallet! Got a few different tube and rod sizes recently.
The chart George posted shows the actual-size internal diameter of pitot tubes, and various calibre weapons, compared to the required tube/rod in the various scales.
Note:- If possible, choose an alloy or brass tube, as they are much easier to cut than stainless steel. I had to use diamond cutting discs, followed by hi-tensile steel circular saw blades, in a motor tool, to cut the stainless steel tubes, from Revell cement, to make the .50 cals for my P-47. A razor saw wouldn't even scratch the surface, although it'll cut the brass or aluminium tubing without problem, if a little slowly.
EDIT:- I've just checked some sizes of the Albion tubes. In some cases, the nearest internal diameter doesn't work for the external diameter of the tubes available. For example, for a Browning .50 cal, smooth barrel jacket, in 1/48th scale, a tube of approximately 1mm outside diameter would be needed, to give an external scale appearance. This is shown with a 0.5mm internal diameter, which scales out to 24mm, rather than 12.7mm.
But it's better to have the external appearance to scale, or near enough, rather than have the 'bore' spot on, but the barrel diameter noticeably under scale.

Last edited:
I think it's in mm Jim, but if you look at the Albion Alloys site, at the PDFs for the tube/rod sizes, and then at the other PDF for conversion, metric/imperial, you'll be able to work out what's what.
Depending on the aircraft, and the weapon concerned, you may have to jiggle about with sizes, in order to achieve the correct, or as near correct, outside diameter, as with the example of the smooth barrel Browning .50 cal.
If this is not known exactly, then an 'educated guess', based on photos of the actual barrel, should get you close enough, and taking a measurement from a kit part will provide a reasonable starting point. Also, remember that, if painted, the metal tube will probably look 'thicker' anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back