Mikhail Kalashnikov - AK47 assault rifle designer Kalashnikov dies at 94

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You got to give the man credit for one Hellava gun. Bury it in sand, mud, crep, water, you name it, brush it off and it shoots everytime. Soak a rope in some old motor oil pull it (rope) through the barrel and you're set for another 10,000 rounds. Always hated the sound of that d*mn thing being fired at me!!!
May he Rest in Peace

Yup, might not like what side he was on but that was a brilliant design that never seems to get old.

Ive never fired an AK-47. Would like to hear from someone who has. most accounts consider them an exceptional weapon. 70 years on and still showing no signs of obsolescence.

That is one heck of an achievement.

For targets under 250 m, a very good rifle, assuming: average shooter, single shots, target does not move fast or erratically. A very simple rifle to operate maintain, not too clumsy or heavy (at least the AKM-47 versions). Ex-Yu version (M-70) was without chrome plated barrel, so the barrels were fast to worn out, even for peace time use. Soviet barrels were far better. Romanian version was allegedly using low quality steel, but the rifle featured the forward grip - preferred by most of the people I've spoken.

I have had both an AK and ar-15s, The AK was no where near as accurate as the AR,much rougher in the finish even thou I had an Arsenal model,easier to field strip than an AR. The AK recoil was not bad,never jammed even with cheap Russian rounds. Best I could describe the difference would be the AK would be my "truck" gun and the AR my hunting,distance shooter,target paper puncher more of an all around platform shooting rifle. Spec forces etc have a tendency of using AK's because there's a gazillion of them out there,ammo, parts etc might be easier to find in remote areas plus the sound might give them an advantage. Overall thou because of my location I would prefer an AR.

I have had both an AK and ar-15s, The AK was no where near as accurate as the AR,much rougher in the finish even thou I had an Arsenal model,easier to field strip than an AR. The AK recoil was not bad,never jammed even with cheap Russian rounds. Best I could describe the difference would be the AK would be my "truck" gun and the AR my hunting,distance shooter,target paper puncher more of an all around platform shooting rifle. Spec forces etc have a tendency of using AK's because there's a gazillion of them out there,ammo, parts etc might be easier to find in remote areas plus the sound might give them an advantage. Overall thou because of my location I would prefer an AR.

Indeed, the AK-47 was never between the most accurate rifles. Back in the war of 1991-95, much more prized guns were the FN-FAL, H&K G3 or M-16, these 'fine' guns being mostly issued to special police and guards brigades. Also, the newer AK-74 was considered as much better then AK-47.
We, plain infantry, were considering the copy of the RPK and the copy of the SKS a bit more accurate than AK.

The AK-47 has a unique sound when fired. When I was in "Nam" we were told never to pick one up and fire it at the VC. The U.S. Marines know the sound well, and will often fire in the direction of the sound. It was a very hardy weapon, not as accurate as some others, but a very good close support weapon. On full auto it wants to "climb" much more than any other automatic I've fired.

RIP Mr. Kalashnikov......

Charles

probably the most ergonomic design of its day. very quick to bring up to battery due to the short stock. i have fired a semi ( chinese 47 ) in 7.62 and the select fire one i have is made in 5.56. really performs well full auto ( probably akin to the 74 )...extremely controllable.... easy to tear down and maintain. a good mix between the function of the 47/74 and the m16 would be the galil or south african R4..which is the same rifle. but the galil is a little more gangly. i would feel secure carrying either the ak or galil.

probably the most ergonomic design of its day. very quick to bring up to battery due to the short stock. i have fired a semi ( chinese 47 ) in 7.62 and the select fire one i have is made in 5.56. really performs well full auto ( probably akin to the 74 )...extremely controllable.... easy to tear down and maintain. a good mix between the function of the 47/74 and the m16 would be the galil or south african R4..which is the same rifle. but the galil is a little more gangly. i would feel secure carrying either the ak or galil.

Reckon you're currently in Afganistan? IIRC nowadays something more powerful is required there - like a 'full power' 7.62x51 NATO based rifle?

As ccheese says a "very distinctive sound". In triple canopy jungle there are times when you can't see your outstretched hand. So you fire at the sound. No one ever regularly carried AKs though one guy even had a Schmeiser and I an Uzi. Most carried the CAR-15. On some infil ops we carried AKs or the SKS and even wore the black PJs of the VC

As ccheese says a "very distinctive sound". In triple canopy jungle there are times when you can't see your outstretched hand. So you fire at the sound. No one ever regularly carried AKs though one guy even had a Schmeiser and I an Uzi. Most carried the CAR-15. On some infil ops we carried AKs or the SKS and even wore the black PJs of the VC
My 7.62x39 chambered AR-15 has a VERY distinctive sound over a standard .223 or 5.56 AR-15. Haven't run many rounds through it, but when I did, it would turn heads because it's report was not what other folks on the range were expecting.

Reckon you're currently in Afganistan? IIRC nowadays something more powerful is required there - like a 'full power' 7.62x51 NATO based rifle?

nope....sitting comfortably ( as much as you can be in this dang cold weather ) near Pittsburgh, pennsylvania. i was a gun dealer for 25 years....i didnt sell many hunting firearms but mostly pistols and military arms. i had what is called a class 3 license ( its actually a tax stamp ) that permitted me to deal in full auto weapons, "any other" weapon, and silencers. so i got a lot of exposure to stuff through doing that. the problem with 7.62 is it is a great semi or bolt action... or light machinegun round. for full auto on an assult style rifle you have to have it on a bi-pod or you are just shooting at the sky after the 3rd round. i shot a hk 91 ( german g-3 ) in full auto. like i said if i put it on the bi-pod i could control it....standing, kneeling, etc....it was all over the place.

Dave, I've heard of ARs that fire that round but never experienced one. I'm trying for a Ruger mini-30 but no luck locally though lots of mini-14s. Gun show Jan 4-5 so we'll see

nope....sitting comfortably ( as much as you can be in this dang cold weather ) near Pittsburgh, pennsylvania. i was a gun dealer for 25 years....i didnt sell many hunting firearms but mostly pistols and military arms. i had what is called a class 3 license ( its actually a tax stamp ) that permitted me to deal in full auto weapons, "any other" weapon, and silencers. so i got a lot of exposure to stuff through doing that. the problem with 7.62 is it is a great semi or bolt action... or light machinegun round. for full auto on an assult style rifle you have to have it on a bi-pod or you are just shooting at the sky after the 3rd round. i shot a hk 91 ( german g-3 ) in full auto. like i said if i put it on the bi-pod i could control it....standing, kneeling, etc....it was all over the place.

Allrighty then, the mentioning of 'feeling secure' kinda pointed me in a wrong direction :)
Indeed, the 'full power' cartridges make almost no sense for full-auto rifles.

Dave, I've heard of ARs that fire that round but never experienced one. I'm trying for a Ruger mini-30 but no luck locally though lots of mini-14s. Gun show Jan 4-5 so we'll see
It has a sharp bark and kicks as would be expected for that caliber, my A2 is an older full stock like the M16 (not the modern collapsable shoulder type). Friends say it lacks a "metallic ping" often heard with an AK as it discharges, though my hearing sucks, so I wouldn't know.
I haven't checked pricing (since I bought this in '84) but I hear that a Warsaw Pact chambered AR is considerably more expensive than the civi/NATO chambered versions - which aren't all that cheap, either.

Hope you can find one, they are good addition to a collection!

All things come to he who waits (including death and taxes so...) #2 on the list is an FN 5.7 but $. At least Federal makes the 5.7 cartrige now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back